Blaze King Chinook 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I can't believe this turned into a heated debate! Maybe we need to get into burning season? Withdrawal symptoms maybe?;lol
Happens every year, about this time. Folks are itching to burn!

Been burning, in the outdoor fire pit.

Reactions: Ashful
Get the blower! I don't always use mine but it sure makes a big difference on really cold days, or when the inside temp is low and you want to bring it up quickly.
I'm also considering the Chinook 30. I'm not clear if or how the optional blower changes the heat delivery when the blower is not turned on. Does the blower kit add additional shielding or restrict natural convection (even to a small degree) when it's present but off?
I can't believe this turned into a heated debate!
I thought it was a heating debate! :ZZZ

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also considering the Chinook 30. I'm not clear if or how the optional blower changes the heat delivery when the blower is not turned on. Does the blower kit add additional shielding or restrict natural convection (even to a small degree) when it's present but off?

I thought it was a heating debate! :ZZZ

Hello Neighbor. The blower kit takes the place of the rear heat shield and allows you to use the reduced rear clearance. The blower ducts cover the rear of the stove on either side of the thermostat riser. The fans are paddle fans that do not appear to limit natural convection when off. My fans are almost always in the off position but make a huge difference when they are running. I only run them when I need to raise the room temperature a lot and not when maintaining which is what the BK is good at due to the long steady burn times.

Hello Neighbor. The blower kit takes the place of the rear heat shield and allows you to use the reduced rear clearance. The blower ducts cover the rear of the stove on either side of the thermostat riser. The fans are paddle fans that do not appear to limit natural convection when off. My fans are almost always in the off position but make a huge difference when they are running. I only run them when I need to raise the room temperature a lot and not when maintaining which is what the BK is good at due to the long steady burn times.

OK, trying to wrap my head around the specifics. When you say the blower kit allows reduced clearances, is that simply because the blower kit makes the back or sides of the stove larger/bulkier (increases size of stove exterior) or does the blower kit allow the firebox to be placed closer to surfaces? I hope you see what I'm getting at.

OK, trying to wrap my head around the specifics. When you say the blower kit allows reduced clearances, is that simply because the blower kit makes the back or sides of the stove larger/bulkier (increases size of stove exterior) or does the blower kit allow the firebox to be placed closer to surfaces? I hope you see what I'm getting at.

The blower kit includes fans and a metal shell that cover up a majority of the rear of the stove. The rear heat shield kit (no fans) also is a metal shell that covers up a majority of the rear of the stove. Either of these (plus double wall pipe) allows you to use the reduced clearance specification in the manual. Neither the fan kit nor the rear heat shield kit change the stove size since the thing you measure from is the thermostat hump which is really big.

For my install the back of my BK is 6" from the combustible wall. I have double wall pipe. I had to buy the fan kit or the rear heat shield to allow 6" clearance as measured from the back of the thermostat hump.

The blower kit includes fans and a metal shell that cover up a majority of the rear of the stove. The rear heat shield kit (no fans) also is a metal shell that covers up a majority of the rear of the stove. Either of these (plus double wall pipe) allows you to use the reduced clearance specification in the manual. Neither the fan kit nor the rear heat shield kit change the stove size since the thing you measure from is the thermostat hump which is really big.

For my install the back of my BK is 6" from the combustible wall. I have double wall pipe. I had to buy the fan kit or the rear heat shield to allow 6" clearance as measured from the back of the thermostat hump.

Thanks, got it.

A couple more question on the Chinook 30.

1) I don't think I've seen a single forum member with this stove even though it's been available for years. What's with that, people don't like modern styling? I think it's a great looking stove. This is less of a question and more of an observation (and a call for Chinook owners to speak up).

2) The Chinook has almost the same firebox dimensions vs. the Princess and yet the emissions/test results are quite different. What accounts for this difference?

3) Can I use the top of the Chinook during power outages to cook/boil water on. My current stove is a early EPA approved Seefire and a normal/medium fire will achieve surface temperatures around 600F-700F and boil a tea kettle about as fast as my electric kitchen range. I don't expect this from the Chinook but will I be able to boil water in a reasonable amount of time without needing to stoke it to the hilt? It's not uncommon to lose power for days on end at this location.

Just trying to make sure this is the replacement stove for me before I buy considering that no one else seems to have one.

I know the mods dislike double-posting, but you might do well to ask some of these questions in the BK performance thread. No Chinook here, but my Ashford shares the same innards, I think.

1) I don't think I've seen a single forum member with this stove even though it's been available for years. What's with that, people don't like modern styling? I think it's a great looking stove. This is less of a question and more of an observation (and a call for Chinook owners to speak up).

2) The Chinook has almost the same firebox dimensions vs. the Princess and yet the emissions/test results are quite different. What accounts for this difference?

3) Can I use the top of the Chinook during power outages to cook/boil water on. My current stove is a early EPA approved Seefire and a normal/medium fire will achieve surface temperatures around 600F-700F and boil a tea kettle about as fast as my electric kitchen range. I don't expect this from the Chinook but will I be able to boil water in a reasonable amount of time without needing to stoke it to the hilt? It's not uncommon to lose power for days on end at this location.

Just trying to make sure this is the replacement stove for me before I buy considering that no one else seems to have one.

1) Its weird looking to me but that's why they offer the 30 box in three different shells. Pick the one you like.

2) good question. They seem to have traded efficiency for lower emissions. The princess is pretty dirty at 2.5 gph. The 30 box also doesn't get the generous 6" deep belly for ash.

3) if you have access to the actual stove top, you can boil water. The stove top has a hot spot over the 1500 degree cat.

I know the mods dislike double-posting, but you might do well to ask some of these questions in the BK performance thread.

Yes, the moderators have the final say on everything, including subjective matters like this. Personally, I find it useful to have info that is specific to a specific model or models in it's own thread for that model or models.

One thing I think is an issue on forums in general is finding accurate information that is specific to the exact product being discussed. For example, I asked about speed of boiling water on a Chinook 30. I will admit I know the Chinook 30 has essentially the same firebox as your Ashford 30 but I do not know how the shrouding varies between models or whether the fan kit adds shrouding to the top of the Chinook (and thus greatly reduces speed of boiling water (or not).

I could understand wanting to group all posts of stoves with the same basic specs in one thread but not all posts about all stoves of one manufacturer together (just because they happen to be produced by the same company).

2) good question. They seem to have traded efficiency for lower emissions. The princess is pretty dirty at 2.5 gph. The 30 box also doesn't get the generous 6" deep belly for ash.

I thought the vertical dimension of the 30 series firebox was actually 3/4" more than that of the Princess. Is it just the vertical placement of the door opening relative to the firebox that makes the ash belly more generous?

3) if you have access to the actual stove top, you can boil water. The stove top has a hot spot over the 1500 degree cat.

I plan on getting the fan kit. Does that affect access to "the actual stove top"? Because that is really what my question was about. Can I put the kettle right on the heavy metal surrounding the combustion chamber or is access prevented by a thinner (and cooler) jacket?

I thought the vertical dimension of the 30 series firebox was actually 3/4" more than that of the Princess. Is it just the vertical placement of the door opening relative to the firebox that makes the ash belly more generous?

I plan on getting the fan kit. Does that affect access to "the actual stove top"? Because that is really what my question was about. Can I put the kettle right on the heavy metal surrounding the combustion chamber or is access prevented by a thinner (and cooler) jacket?

Time to look at some pictures I guess. The 30 box is smaller than the princess by some small amount and several % less efficient. Very different looks though and so similar in specs that they're effectively the same for most people.

Now if they would finally release a much bigger model on a 6" flue we would have something to talk about!

Time to look at some pictures I guess. The 30 box is smaller than the princess by some small amount and several % less efficient. Very different looks though and so similar in specs that they're effectively the same for most people.

Time to look at some pictures? Not very helpful.

I've been looking at photos and to my eye, all the photos I've found look like they might have a top jacket. But most photos don't specify whether the depicted stove is equipped with the fan kit. So I'm left wanting more concrete information than the photos I've found provide. That's why I'm asking the question on this forum.

I could ASSUME that since you said "if" I have access to the top of the stove it'll be plenty hot means that I would have access to the top only if it didn't have the fan option. But you know what they say about ASS-U-ME!

The 30 box is smaller than the princess by some small amount and several % less efficient. Very different looks though and so similar in specs that they're effectively the same for most people.

The specs on the Blaze King website lead me to a very opposite conclusion, that there are significant operational differences between the Princess and Chinook models. Have you had experience with both models? Let's compare specs provided by Blaze King:

Princess: http://www.blazeking.com/EN/PDF/manuals/OM-PE-E.pdf
Chinook: http://www.blazeking.com/EN/PDF/manuals/OM-CK30-E.pdf

Heat range:

Princess: Under specific test conditions this heater has been shown to deliver heat at rates ranging from 12000 to 35600 Btu/hr. This wood heater has a manufacturer-set minimum low burn rate that must not be altered.

Chinook: Under specific test conditions this heater has been shown to deliver heat at rates ranging from 6107 to 28636 Btu/hr. This wood heater has a manufacturer-set minimum low burn rate that must not be altered.

It looks like the minimum burn rate of the Chinook can go down to almost half that of the Princess while the Princess can deliver almost 25% more heat at full blast. Seems pretty significant.

Recommended wood length:

Princess: 16” max. (407 mm)
Chinook: 18” (457 mm) max.

It looks like the Chinook can conveniently accept logs that are 12% longer than the Princess.

Firebox door opening:

Princess: 16 3/8” x 8 1/4” (416 mm x 210 mm)
Chinook: 18 5/8” x 9 7/8” (473 mm x 251 mm)

Chinook door opening is a full 2 1/4" wider and 1 5/8" taller.

Firebox dimensions(WxHxD):

Princess: 21 1/8" x 12 1/2" x 18"
Chinook: 20" x 12/ 7/8 x 18"

Princess is 1 1/8" wider and Chinook is 3/8" taller. Looks like the Princess's deeper belly for ash is only due to a smaller loading door.

Catalytic Combustor:

Princess: Z4400G ceramic
Chinook: Z0336A-M Metal

I see differences here I think most owners would find significant (maybe not Beavis and Butthead) and I haven't even got into the emissions specs!

I have one.
Having the convection deck will make cooking difficult.
I am heating 2000 square feet with it ,when its real cold here say 10 degrees,you need those fans going to push the heat around.
We have had one power outage test so far but only for a few hours.Performance will not be the same as with the fans but I am sure it can keep us very comfortable if we could not use them.
For reference,I test temps with a fluke laser thermometer often.Stovetop is usually only in the ballpark of 200 degrees.The glass ranges from 300 to 650 degrees.The flue 200-400.If I shoot the laser in between one of the big holes on the outer layer side to the box I can see 400-500.
I have not pushed this stove to the extreme yet so I can't tell you what it might hit full roar without the fans on.

Last edited:
Please just providing some information for better comparison without trying to cause disturbance

Performance (LHV) Performance (HHV B415)
Maximum heat input 464,042 BTU's 464,042 BTU's
Efficiency 88% 81%
Constant Heat output on High 40,836 BTU's/h for 10 hours 37,587 BTU's/h for 10 hours
Constant Heat output on Low 13,612 BTU's/h for up to 30 hours 12,528 BTU's/h for up to 40 hours
CO% Weighted Average 0.15%

Square Feet Heated 1500 – 2500
Maximum Log Size 20"
Burn Time Up to 30 hours on low
Emissions (grams/hour) 2.42 g
Firebox Size 2.85 cu. ft.
Unit Dimensions (Ultra)

Width 27" / 685.8mm
Height 33" / 838.2mm
Depth 31" / 787.4mm
Weight 435 lbs. / 195kg
Flue Diameter 6" / 152.4mm

Performance

Performance (LHV) Performance (HHV B415)
Maximum heat input 447,760 BTU's 447,760 BTU's
Efficiency 81% 75% (As listed by EPA)
Constant Heat output on High 38,507 BTU's/h for 10 hours 35,821 BTU's/h for 10 hours
Constant Heat output on Low 12,836 BTU's/h for up to 30 hours 11,940 BTU's/h for up to 30 hours
CO% Weighted Average 0.14%

Square Feet Heated 1,100 – 2,400
Maximum Log Size 18" (recommended 16")
Burn Time Up to 30 hours on low
Emissions (grams/hour) 0.8 g
Firebox Size 2.75 cu. ft.
Unit Dimensions (Curved Sides)

Width 29 1/4” (743 mm)
Height 35 1/2” (902 mm)
Depth 30 3/8” (772 mm)
Weight 425 lbs. (192.7 kg)
Flue Diameter 6" / 152.4mm

I have one.
Having the convection deck will make cooking difficult.
I am heating 2000 square feet with it ,when its real cold here say below 10,you need those fans going to push the heat around.
We have had one power outage test so far but only for a few hours.Performance will not be the same as with the fans but I am sure it can keep us very comfortable if we could not use them.

Ah, DrStorm, you are the only one I've seen here with the Chinook! Thank-you for responding.

Is the "convection deck" part of the fan kit? Without the fan kit there is no top shroud?

I think I need the fans because I leave my ski cabin unheated until we arrive. It's typically about 41 degrees throughout upon arrival and I use my highest btu wood to build as hot a fire as possible to help heat it up quickly. I'm afraid without the fans on the thermostat will limit the amount of peak burn. My current stove is good for the quick heat-up but the firebox is starting to sag from 25 years of hot fires and the aging Seefire can't burn low enough to keep me from roasting like a pig on a spit so I'm looking forward to it's replacement!

Would it be impractical to remove the convection deck when the power failed for cooking/boiling purposes? Maybe I just need to keep a gas cookstove in the shed for emergencies? Much rather use the stovetop though if possible.

Please just providing some information for better comparison without trying to cause disturbance

Wow! Those specs are much closer to one another than the specs I linked to directly from the manufacturer's website (see my two links above). I wonder why?

Ah, DrStorm, you are the only one I've seen here with the Chinook! Thank-you for responding.

Is the "convection deck" part of the fan kit? Without the fan kit there is no top shroud?

I think I need the fans because I leave my ski cabin unheated until we arrive. It's typically about 41 degrees throughout upon arrival and I use my highest btu wood to build as hot a fire as possible to help heat it up quickly. I'm afraid without the fans on the thermostat will limit the amount of peak burn. My current stove is good for the quick heat-up but the firebox is starting to sag from 25 years of hot fires and the aging Seefire can't burn low enough to keep me from roasting like a pig on a spit so I'm looking forward to it's replacement!

Would it be impractical to remove the convection deck when the power failed for cooking/boiling purposes? Maybe I just need to keep a gas cookstove in the shed for emergencies? Much rather use the stovetop though if possible.
While I am not certain,I do not think the stove is supposed to be operated without the convection deck.Fans or no fans it doesn't matter.
You can probably take the deck off but lose the tested clearances etc.
Maybe one of the dealers on here that work with them will chime in or perhaps BKVP can jump in if he sees this.
For the record,I am pleased with it very much.

The specs on the Blaze King website lead me to a very opposite conclusion, that there are significant operational differences between the Princess and Chinook models. Have you had experience with both models? Let's compare specs provided by Blaze King:

Princess: http://www.blazeking.com/EN/PDF/manuals/OM-PE-E.pdf
Chinook: http://www.blazeking.com/EN/PDF/manuals/OM-CK30-E.pdf

Heat range:

Princess: Under specific test conditions this heater has been shown to deliver heat at rates ranging from 12000 to 35600 Btu/hr. This wood heater has a manufacturer-set minimum low burn rate that must not be altered.

Chinook: Under specific test conditions this heater has been shown to deliver heat at rates ranging from 6107 to 28636 Btu/hr. This wood heater has a manufacturer-set minimum low burn rate that must not be altered.

It looks like the minimum burn rate of the Chinook can go down to almost half that of the Princess while the Princess can deliver almost 25% more heat at full blast. Seems pretty significant.

Recommended wood length:

Princess: 16” max. (407 mm)
Chinook: 18” (457 mm) max.

It looks like the Chinook can conveniently accept logs that are 12% longer than the Princess.

Firebox door opening:

Princess: 16 3/8” x 8 1/4” (416 mm x 210 mm)
Chinook: 18 5/8” x 9 7/8” (473 mm x 251 mm)

Chinook door opening is a full 2 1/4" wider and 1 5/8" taller.

Firebox dimensions(WxHxD):

Princess: 21 1/8" x 12 1/2" x 18"
Chinook: 20" x 12/ 7/8 x 18"

Princess is 1 1/8" wider and Chinook is 3/8" taller. Looks like the Princess's deeper belly for ash is only due to a smaller loading door.

Catalytic Combustor:

Princess: Z4400G ceramic
Chinook: Z0336A-M Metal

I see differences here I think most owners would find significant (maybe not Beavis and Butthead) and I haven't even got into the emissions specs!

You found some bad information. If the low burn rate was truly half then the stove could burn twice as long. no, the 30 box can't do 60 hours!

Wow! Those specs are much closer to one another than the specs I linked to directly from the manufacturer's website (see my two links above). I wonder why?

Actually those are straight from BK website, copy and paste from each model page.