Blaze King - King on 6" chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The king on a 6 might have a problem when you open the door.
But even then if you open it slow I doubt if it will be much of a issue.

I'm not sure I get on board with that. There are enough of us running the princess on a 6" and we complain about smoke spillage when it's warm. I have a feeling a king on a 6" flue on the warm 40-50* days may be a smokey mess.

I have a tall insulated chase chimney (41' stove -cap) and I can rip my door open on any day and not get any spillage. There is so much draft that the stove whistles through the primary even when the stove is cold. I cold draw on a King better with my 6" than most do with their 8".

I have a tall insulated chase chimney (41' stove -cap) and I can rip my door open on any day and not get any spillage. There is so much draft that the stove whistles through the primary even when the stove is cold. I cold draw on a King better with my 6" than most do with their 8".

Not many of us have a 41' chimney. :) Mine has 27' worth of liner with about 3' of double wall off the stove so around 30' total. For my non cat it was too much chimney for my BK I get smoke spillage if I'm not careful on warmer days(probably 40*+)

I'm 35' of class A and 6' stove pipe. I have to run a damper full closed 100% of the time even on warm days. Thinking about adding a second damper.

I bet that was an expensive chimney.

When i open my stove thats a slammer (i know) it drafts like crazy, when i open my stove on a 6" pipe it to drafts like crazy, i think draft is increased no matter what with door open?

I am going to get a liner for my Slammer. Its a cat stove 3.5cuft model. It has an 8" outlet and i have been told i can run it on a 6" by the manufacturer several times now. Both over phone and in person. Reason i dont go 8" is that i have like a 6x13 flue or something and a 6" liner wont fit. I could hook to an 8" pipe then a Y and go up with two 6" liners up each flue tile or just hook to like 3ft of 8" then go to 6" through the tile? They said just go 6" but would be better to use a 8" to a 6" pipe.

The chimney I just installed at my sister's house is 21' of class A, and 5.5' of double wall connector, straight up. Before I hooked the pipe up, I held up a piece of TP, and it would have sucked it up the pipe if I let go. I can hear air whistling thru the thermostat, and it changes pitch as I close it, with a cold stove (which is impressive, cause I can't hear chit). Even so, if I open the door too fast, it will lose a little smoke. It won't spill smoke into the room, but it's what's hanging on the door when it is opened. A momentary vacuum, I guess.

I don't have any problems burning with my 16' straight shot, but I think the glass stays cleaner on her stove.

I don't think it's about how hard the chimney is pulling, it's about how much. If somebody wants to go to that calculator George found and figure out the numbers for 6"x41' vs 8"x26', I'd be interested in the results. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow if my wife lets me have the computer.

I don't think it's about how hard the chimney is pulling, it's about how much. If somebody wants to go to that calculator George found and figure out the numbers for 6"x41' vs 8"x26', I'd be interested in the results. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow if my wife lets me have the computer.
It would be interesting to know to what degree increased draft can make up for less pipe volume.

I truly think the bigger stoves like a BKK have the 8" flue to help with spillage when reloading.
I still have a key damper and I can run with it shut ..course there is a big hole in the center.
But if I where to leave it shut then open the door the smoke would pour out if there is any in the stove.

Reactions: wkpoor
I think if I had a straight up taller over 20' chimney I'd give the King a try on a 6" chimney but would choke it down at the ceiling rather than the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.