Blaze King Princess Insert….it's just OK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rain soaking really doesn't do a whole lot to wood, the internal moisture is the main concern.Getting wet on the outside can actually help dry the inside...as counter-intuitive as it may seem.
i must know how this works.if your theory is correct i need to hose down my wood asap so it will dry quicker!;lol

It takes a long time for water to soak very far into wood.The main concern as far as moisture goes in woods are the oils and sap in the wood. Water can actually help dilute the sap and dry the wood faster. Also consider that the wood getting wet then dry then wet then dry and freezing and thawing along the way can help crack and open up the wood.

Cut a limb and throw a chunk under a roof to stay dry and leave a chunk out in the weather and see which one dries faster.

It takes a long time for water to soak very far into wood.The main concern as far as moisture goes in woods are the oils and sap in the wood. Water can actually help dilute the sap and dry the wood faster. Also consider that the wood getting wet then dry then wet then dry and freezing and thawing along the way can help crack and open up the wood.

Cut a limb and throw a chunk under a roof to stay dry and leave a chunk out in the weather and see which one dries faster.

That's nice and all, but in the scheme of general stacking / drying practices. Keeping things dry w/ good air circulation is best.

Some water hitting the wood doesn't hurt if it can dry quickly,,,, point is, there are caveats to such statements.

Last edited:
That's nice and all, but in the scheme of general stacking / drying practices. Keeping things dry w/ good air circulation is best.

Some water hitting the wood doesn't hurt if it can dry quickly,,,, point is, there are caveats to such a statement.

[em

You could soak it in a downpour for a week and a good day in the sun would dry it, not to mention that it would be drier than it was before it rained. That's not to say that wood covered in three feet of snow for a few months would be in the same boat.

I'm thinking the piece in the "weather" also gets sun and wind.
You almost make it sound as though wood before being cut down has hardly no water but mostly sap and oils.

You could soak it in a downpour for a week and a good day in the sun would dry it, not to mention that it would be drier than it was before it rained. That's not to say that wood covered in three feet of snow for a few months would be in the same boat.

I hate to distract from the original thread, but this is such bologna that I just can't help but to call it as such.

Again, too many caveats to make such a statement.

pen

Reactions: Kevin Dolan
I'm thinking the piece in the "weather" also gets sun and wind.
You almost make it sound as though wood before being cut down has hardly no water but mostly sap and oils.

It has plenty of water but the water evaporates with lots of help from the sun and the wind, the water from rain/snow helps draw the oils from the wood by diluting them. Water is the universal solvent.

I hate to distract from the original thread, but this is such bologna that I just can't help but to call it as such.

Again, too many caveats to make such a statement.

pen

Water isn't the only thing that makes things "wet", and you can call it a bunch of bologna if you want....to each his own.

It has plenty of water but the water evaporates with lots of help from the sun and the wind, the water from rain/snow helps draw the oils from the wood by diluting them. Water is the universal solvent.

Ok, so now we need sun and wind? Is this news????

Wet wood dries, but it's best to keep it dry and give it access to sun and wind. If that doesn't sum things up, I don't know what does. However, even wood that's been seasoned for 40 years can soak up moisture, and hold onto it for a long, long time....... Just ask the 40 year old wood hatchet's handle I let in the woods for 3 weeks before I found it again this fall.

My point is, your words were misleading.

Ok, so now we need sun and wind? Is this news????

I'm pretty sure the sun and wind comes naturally to things that are uncovered in the outdoors...

I'm pretty sure the sun and wind comes naturally to things that are uncovered in the outdoors...

But if the wood is to be burned next week, one might not have the option of such fortunate weather.

End of story.

Haven't seen the words Blaze King or Princess in a while in the thread.

Closing it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.