1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Blaze King princess thermostat sticky, BK Princess ultra

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Highbeam, Mar 10, 2013.

1. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    That sounds like the cat clogging problem with stainless cat on the PH - seems to happen to a few with really tall chimneys/strong draft/no ashpan combination. The outside surface of the stainless cat gets covered with fly ash, blocking the openings, at least in part. No ceramic cat available for PH. Obvious attempts at solution with PH: add a damper, add as ash pan. Did your friend fit into this profile? Would be helpful to know. More info we can get to figure out for sure why some, but only a very few, people are having this cat clogging issue with fly ash.

Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fire_man

fire_man Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Ma
    This thread reads like an exciting novel where you can't wait to get to the end, but you want to take your time along the way!

I don't understand how the "click" feature works on this thermostat, my old VC Resolute's thermostat was always continuously opening or closing, with no "click" to it. On the BK, it's as though a separate spring gets wound up and lets go to close the flapper when the bimetalic coil reaches the proper temperature.

This sure sounds like a binding shaft but at least it's got an easy fix.
  3. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    The click we speak of is just the flapper shutting fully. Since the flapper has that hole in it, the stat calls for a zero setting very frequently. These full cat stoves just don't use much air.

So far, so good. The stove is working well.
  4. HotCoals

HotCoals Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester,Ny.
    Some mistake the stove heating up (clicking) for the t-stat closing.
  5. RustyShackleford

RustyShackleford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NC
    You don't need to get to the end to know the moral of the story though: another problem with the thermostat area on BK stoves, which BK chooses to bury their heads in the sand about.
  6. Highbeam

Loc:

To be fair, my stat coil was wound correctly and I found no defects upon examination of the stat system. My symptom was a hot stove at a low stat setting but the cause could be several things including some out of BK's control. I have not contacted BK about this since I really can't blame them without evidence.
  7. claybe

claybe Member

Loc:
    Colorado
    I have the princess insert and I can't hear a "click" nor have ever been able to hear a "click". Do you think something is amiss? Stove has not been down long enough for me to check yours and shackelfords claims.
  8. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    I just took a look, and I see what you are saying. Not very confidence inspiring, but the welds on mine seem pretty substantial.

The only time I here a click that is actually from the thermostat butterfly is when I turn the knob quickly to the closed position. It isn't very loud, and you might not hear it with an insert. I'm not sure where the thermostat assembly is located. Any other clicks and pops are expansion and contraction. I don't believe that the bimetallic coil would close it hard enough to make a click, and I'm not sure it would close completely at all unless it were at an already low setting.
  9. Highbeam

Loc:

At least with the stoves, it is quite easy to pop the cover off and watch it for awhile if you really want to know. I am pretty certain that the flapper does close fully as needed. If the flapper is even slightly open, the stove is getting lots of air.
  10. Skidooer

Skidooer New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario, Canada
    Did you notice any warping in the housing that the stat sits down into? When i changed the stat in my Princess it was because it would stick about 1/4" open (at 1.75 setting), but only sometimes.... After Valley Comfort sent me a new thermo, i removed the old one and really had to pry it out of the warped housing. Once out of the stove it worked great, passed the hairdryer test perfectly many times. The whole problem was that my high draft issue was causing the stove to overfire, and the heat warped the housing inward, binding up the themostat. Once i pryed it out true, both the old one and new one worked wonderful. But obviously i sent the old one back anywany. And the old one was stiff, and the lube inside was all dryed out and nasty looking.
    I have since traded the princess in after having nothing but problems, and now burning my new King Ultra, which so far I LOVE! I can not believe the difference in heat and burn times. I just hope it doesnt give me any problems...
  11. Highbeam

Loc:
    I ran the flapper through it's range and cleaned the mating surface so no, no sticking was evident.It moved freely all the way. Good thing to check though and I'm glad you brought up the possibility. These threads stay around forever and somebody searching for info in the future might have the problem you describe.
  12. ernie

ernie Member

Loc:
    Missouri
    If anyone wants a new thermostat control for their Blaze King stove, we stock a few in our online store, www.hechlers.com