bleeding my boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssupercoolss

Hearth Supporter
Jan 28, 2008
southeast pa
i am just about to install my wood boiler, going home shortly to break into my oil boilers plumbing to install the proper tee's and valves for all this to work. the plumbing part is no problem, however i have never had to bleed this boiler before. as near as i can figure, this is a monoflow system, i have a boiler drain, and a drain on the big old expansion tank in the rafters. unfortunatly my air scoop wont be installed until i pipe the wood boiler into it. i have the basic understanding of how i am going to get the air out, but maybe theres a few steps i can take before heading up to the radiators to bleed from there. i figure i can bleed the boiler itself through the pressure relief, but not sure if i should leave the valve on the expansion tank open and let it flow through there for a while? should i run the circulator cold for a while?

oh....and the "third grade dance recital" is tonight if anyone wants buy tickets in advance.

There's probably some official procedure, but all I ever do is fill it until it won't take any more, then bleed out all the radiators, fire the system up for awhile and then bleed everything again. If you don't have a working scoop, then repeat over time until there's no more air.

Thats more or less what I did to, and didn't have any problems. Just let it fill and keep opening any air-vents that you may have.

FWIW, in my install I took someones advice here (on another thread) and installed a $20 air scoop instead of the $150 SpiroAir Vent, and the inexpensive scoop did a perfectly fine job of getting all the air out of the system. In fact, I don't think my oil boiler had any air scoop/eliminator at all (that I could find), and the pipes have never been quieter.

I'd like two tickets for tonight please, we LOVE third grade dance recitals! No............wait........, I forgot I have sorting out my sock drawer scheduled tonight, please cancel my order and give me a rain check.

Status
Not open for further replies.