Blew A Fuse

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brokenwing

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2012
Northern Maryland
Well besides my ongoing situation, it is chilly tonight, so I decided to run the stove for a few hours. After dinner, we were in the kitchen cleaning up when I heard the agitator motor kick in, and the sitirrer rod doing its thing, and all of a sudden POP. I shut the stove down, and pulled the panel, and sure enough the fuse is blown. Once it cooled down, I opened it up and checked to see if the rod was seated, and it was. I thought maybe I had clinkers, and the rod got stuck, nope burn pot it clean. I tried to spin the motor by hand, but it is locked up tight. I bet my friendly dealer will love getting a call, and coming to see my smiling face again:p

:(

I hope it's something simple.... You have been through H#££ with that stove.

Well good news. I called the dealer this morning, they said they were booked till monday. No problem, so around noon today I heard a knock at the door, and it was the dealer. He was in the area and wanted to see if he could get me up and running real quick. He popped a fuse in, and it fired right back up. He checked everything out, and even contacted regency to see if there was something he was missing. I am impressed, hopefully she keeps on going.

Fuses do not just blow. There is a reason and it was not found. Ground, wire frayed, or igniter.

Eric

Fuses do not just blow. There is a reason and it was not found. Ground, wire frayed, or igniter.

Eric
They said with the stirrer rod if it binds in a load of pellets in the burn pot, this can cause the agitator motor to blow a fuse. He went through with his meter, and checked a lot of things. I do not know, but currently it is working. Eric I understand that fuses do not just blow, something caused it, I am with vinny and thinking gremlins! Seriously though I will run it and see what happens, it is under warranty so if it blows a fuse again I will call them back.

If you found nothing, give it some time cause it will happen again, usually at 2am on a Saturday night when it is 5 degrees outside.

As for the auger stir, you need to blame something.

Eric

Eric there is a dedicated fuse panel. Each motor has its own fuse. So the problem has to be isolated with the agitator system. I went through everything as well as the dealer. I did not see any bad wiring or anything. I am just as confused, I would love to find a exact reason but It is just not there. I finally ran out of Lignetics, and i am glad I did. Some of the pellets in there were very long, and when the stirrer rod kicked in you could see it go up and down as it was cycling through the pile of pellets. That is why I could see it getting caught and blowing a fuse.

I will tap out.

What is the amp on the fuse?

2amp is nothing. Still not satisfied on the jam of the stir. Why do you need a stir on a stove burning pellets? Again not my brand but what do I know?

The dealer also check to see if I had a surge protector which it is plugged into a tripplite. I know 2 amps is a tiny fuse. I guess I will let her eat, and see if she pops again. I know for the Ignitor there is a 5 amp fuse, so they do step up.

Less than I can count on one hand I have seen fuse holders with bad solder joints or loose holder grip on fuse contribute to fuse blow. In some cases compounded by existing condition not being rectified continually heating fuse holder and surrounding structure. Other times just faulty on the go. Worth a check also is that replacement fuse type is correct. Fast or slow.

Probably a stretch but I did hear the word gremlins...

Less than I can count on one hand I have seen fuse holders with bad solder joints or loose holder grip on fuse contribute to fuse blow. In some cases compounded by existing condition not being rectified continually heating fuse holder and surrounding structure. Other times just faulty on the go. Worth a check also is that replacement fuse type is correct. Fast or slow.

Probably a stretch but I did hear the word gremlins...
excuse me for my ingnorance but when you say is the fuse type fast or slow?

A slow blow fuse can sustain the rated amperage rating longer than a fast blow type will.

Oh ok i am with you, must be getting tired lol. I will have to go and look at the replacement fuse.

No problem. Boss just asked me what time I am going to bed. That's code for now.

Why do you need a stir on a stove burning pellets?

Think PC45 and you'll have the answer. Stirrir gives longer runs with less pot cleaning.

M55/GC60 has 2 modes for the pellets. Premium pot only stirs once every 1/2 hour. Regular stirs with each auger feed. Nice feature that cleans/scraps the pot for you and gives longer runs between cleanings.

Brokenwing, Check the Enviro burnpot mod thread. We found if you add a few extra holes in specific spots it reduces the carbon build up. Offers less noise and should help the agitator bind problem with carbon build up.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/enviro-multifuel-burnpot-modification.82174/

Think PC45 and you'll have the answer. Stirrir gives longer runs with less pot cleaning.

M55/GC60 has 2 modes for the pellets. Premium pot only stirs once every 1/2 hour. Regular stirs with each auger feed. Nice feature that cleans/scraps the pot for you and gives longer runs between cleanings.

Brokenwing, Check the Enviro burnpot mod thread. We found if you add a few extra holes in specific spots it reduces the carbon build up. Offers less noise and should help the agitator bind problem with carbon build up.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/enviro-multifuel-burnpot-modification.82174/
Yes the PC45 has a stir for the corn set up. The pellet set up uses a different set up that does not have the stir. I guess you can use the stir but a little more wear and tear on parts.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.