Block off plate for SS liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I'm looking at SS liners on eBay (particularly the Rockford unit). It looks like the liner drops down and connects to a tee, then connects horizontally to the back of my woodstove. I don't see a block-off plate provided and thought this was very desirable when lining an existing chimney. Do folks just not install a block off plate? It seems like a lot of air would escape one way or another (out of the house or down the chimney). Do they stuff some kaowool around it?

Thanks

The blockoff plate is something that you have to fabricate to fit your application. It's really not that difficult; if you can install the rest yourself, you can make the blockoff. Take a look in the Wiki section; there is a good article on how to fabricate and install a blockoff.

You can insulate the top of the plate with kaowool, but kaowool on its own is not a sufficient blockoff. Also, don't use fiberglass insulation on top of or around the blockoff, it will not handle the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.