Block-off Plate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireBall

Hearth Supporter
Aug 11, 2007
Western North Carolina
Like everyone else, I try to get the most production out of my stove during this brutal cold. I have one question that I would appreciate others' opinion on. I have a insulated stainless steel liner that is sealed at the top of the chimney. I do not have a block-off plate at the bottom and think I am losing heat up the chimney. Would like to add a block-off plate, but worry it might reduce my draft as the chimney would be cooler. Am I right? The current draft on my chimney is just marginal- would not want to reduce the draft. Appreciate any opinions!

Block it off. You will not loose draft. You will save heat from the stove going up and heating (uselessly) the chimney. The only down side is the actual work to make the block off plate. Just do it.

Even with the block of plate, that chimney will get some of the heat. Just do it...

+3, Just do it. Your efforts will pay off for years to come.

A block off definitely reduces heat loss from your house. If you have a masonry fireplace, you can get even more heat into your house by putting an insulated heat shield in the back. With a small circulating fan blowing air through, I still have 150 to 250 F temps behind my stove in the fireplace. A lot of heat goes through the bricks without the block off plate and heat shield. Pictures of the block off plate and heat shield install are here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/44303/

+10, whatever. Go for it.

Thanks for the feedback. Having read prior info about block-off plates, I was convinced they were a plus for most situations. Just did not know if installing one might affect the less than perfect draft in my chimney. Your responses have convinced me to put one in- thanks. Again, I am so impressed with the knowledge on this site and everyone's willingness to share information.

Status
Not open for further replies.