Block Off Plate ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete97

Aug 29, 2006
Pittsburgh Pa
How much heat is lost on my BK Princess Insert without using a Block Off Plate in a masonry chimney? The chimney is lined with 6" Stainless Pipe and there is a plate blocking off or sealing off the flue at the top. Right now it is in the 20's here and I thought my living room would be much warmer with the insert in there. During the Shoulder Season it was plenty warm as we had to open the windows a lot from too much heat. Am I loosing heat up the chimney? I do have the surround installed around the chimney opening. Thanks Pete

I would think you're losing lots of heat without a block off! But, you should be able to burn that sucker hot, engage the cat and watch out. :coolsmirk: Load her up!!

The guys on here will tell you that your loosing a ton of heat. It's a job, but well worth it.

Attachments

• SS block off plate.jpg
    SS block off plate.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 523
  • SS block off plate2.jpg
    SS block off plate2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 559
  • cut block off plate.jpg
    cut block off plate.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 532
  • rockwool block off plate.jpg
    rockwool block off plate.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,061
  • block off plate and liner.jpg
    block off plate and liner.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 680
Gizmos, what did you use for insulation around the pipe in your pic? Any templates for making the plate?

pete97 said:
Gizmos, what did you use for insulation around the pipe in your pic? Any templates for making the plate?

That insul. is called mineral wool. One brand is Roxul. It is a super fire resistant/retardant insulation. Block off plates can be bought or made from at least non-galvinized sheet metal at least 24 guage thick. The SS is nice though! Measuring your openning would be the best way to make sure it'll fit.

Any ideas on where to buy the mineral wool and the block off plates?

pete97 said:
Sheet metal you can get nearly anywhere. The big boxes sell pieces & since you only need 1 small piece, price doesn't much matter.
Mineral wool is mainly only used in commercial construction now so --> local insulation places, contractors... I found plenty in my attic. Gizmos is very nice. Mine was cut with tin snips and bent with my gloved hands & a 2x4, doesn't look as nice, but with an insert you can't see anyway. It's air-tight. Seal the plate to the liner with furnace cement and plate to fireplace walls with hi-temp silicone or furnace cement.
Not a hard job. The folded edges make the fit fairly 'adjustable'. Pulling or disconnecting the insert will be the hardest part. Making mine was the first job I ever did with sheet metal.

midwestcoast said:
pete97 said:
Sheet metal you can get nearly anywhere. The big boxes sell pieces & since you only need 1 small piece, price doesn't much matter.
Mineral wool is mainly only used in commercial construction now so --> local insulation places, contractors... I found plenty in my attic. Gizmos is very nice. Mine was cut with tin snips and bent with my gloved hands & a 2x4, doesn't look as nice, but with an insert you can't see anyway. It's air-tight. Seal the plate to the liner with furnace cement and plate to fireplace walls with hi-temp silicone or furnace cement.
Not a hard job. The folded edges make the fit fairly 'adjustable'. Pulling or disconnecting the insert will be the hardest part. Making mine was the first job I ever did with sheet metal.
Very well put, I second that!

You can make it totaally adjustable by making the liner hole an oversized square. Then make a smaller square that overlaps that hole by a few inches all around & make your snug liner hole in that. When you put the plate in place, the smaller plate can move around several inches to line things up, then fasten the 2 together with sheet metal screws & seal the joint (again with hi-tempp silicone or furnace cement). Hope that makes sense, guess I need to get to bed.

gizmos said:
The guys on here will tell you that your loosing a ton of heat. It's a job, but well worth it.

What kind of liner is that? It is oval correct?

It is debateable how much it helps, I wanted my installer to put one in, but he did not. Now I would have to take the insert out and put one in. I am not too worried about fabricating one, but getting the insert out with the surround, fire brick, etc. etc. seems like a pain. And of course, I have to put in back in. The installers comment was that it was sealed at the top and insulated at the top. He feels the chimney is a small space to heat and is not a big deal. Someday I guess I will find out if there is a difference, just another project that I have to put on the list.

GolfandWoodNut said:
It is debateable how much it helps, I wanted my installer to put one in, but he did not. Now I would have to take the insert out and put one in. I am not too worried about fabricating one, but getting the insert out with the surround, fire brick, etc. etc. seems like a pain. And of course, I have to put in back in. The installers comment was that it was sealed at the top and insulated at the top. He feels the chimney is a small space to heat and is not a big deal. Someday I guess I will find out if there is a difference, just another project that I have to put on the list.
Chimneys, especially ones that are exposed to the outside can suck up a lot of heat. Concrete walls will do the same.

With it sealed at the top I think the heat loss is pretty low, if not actually gaining heat from the liner. I don't have a block off plate yet and I don't belive I'm loossing much if any heat, though when my top plate came off the heat loss was incredibal! You could even feel the heat pouring out the chimney when I went up on the roof to resecure the cap.

I had mine installed with it. I removed and insulated with a block off plate and my chimney is in the middle of the house. I was getting ice damning so I was happy with the install but it was warming the attic too much. I can tell you without a doubt that insulating and block off plate have made a incredible difference. There is a HUGE difference in performance and heat. You can choke it down all the way where it was open a third before. You will use less wood and less heat loss. I even noticed the outer regions of the house were much warmer. If in doubt tear it out and do it. Well worth the piece of tin!

Thanks for all the info. I will get to it eventually. Too cold now to pull the stove out and let the fire go out !!!!!

gizmos said:

Gizmos, how did you cut that oval in the center of your block off plate? Thats almost too perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.