Blower for PE Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sodbuster

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2012
Michigan
OK, so I've searched the archives and can't seem to find a simple answer to this question. Does a blower increase the total heat that my stove will put out when it gets really cold outside. I understand it will cool the outside surface of the stove, and will lead to more wood being burned, but can I actually get more heat out of my stove. I'm heating about 3000 sq ft of a fairly open floor plan. The stove works fine when the temps are in the 20's to 30's, but tonight I've had to run it pretty hard; 10 degrees at this time. Any input is appreciated.

Yes. Heat transfer from the stove is increased, BTU consumption within the stove remains the same.

Do you turn the blower up in your car on a really cold day once the engine is heated to defrost the windows or heat up the interior?

Two screws. and plug in the power cord, if you are unhappy with the heat output (as I was) add the blower, it makes a world of difference.

My 30-NC is a similar stove and moving the heat off of the stove into the living space makes a ton of difference when the temps go down outside. Probably some engineer could make a case that as the air passes over the stove top more is absorbed by the metal and released instead of it going up the chimney. Who knows?

Yes, definitely more heat out of the stove. Also more heat per lb of wood. How much more depends on the stove and specific installation. Some only see a slight improvement (not worth the noise) others a large increase.
No, not more wood burned. All else being equal - slightly less wood burned as the draft would be reduced due to lower flue temp.

Thanks for the info guys, like I said, the stove heats fine when its a normal winter day, but when we get really cold or windy I could use a little extra oomph.

Status
Not open for further replies.