Blower lowering stove temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody else prefer not to use the blower on their stoves? I have a non cat englander 2200 and i use to run my blower all the time once it got to temp, but i noticed it drops the stove temp by 100deg give or take when i have it on. So I've been not turning it on and the hot air takes longer to circulate around the house but it seems like I'm using less wood to keep the stove temp up and it stays at temp longer. has anybody else had this problem? When i first tried not using the blower i didn't realize how much heat the stove really put off and came close to 800deg[emoji16]

That's exactly what a blower is supposed to do - pull heat off the stove and circulate it into the room. 50 - 100 is about normal.

Reactions: F4jock and BSH1F
Yep, that's the way it works. I don't use the blower much personally. According to SBI it raises the efficiency by 2%.

Reactions: BSH1F
My blower does not run unless the stove is over 675::F. Running the blower will typically shorten burn times especially on a small stove.

A strongly radiant stove may not see the benefit of a blower like a more convective stove. With the side shields and convection deck on my BKK, I run the blowers most of the time. In my ranch house, I see an almost immediate rise in temp on the hallway thermostat when I turn them on, or go from a low setting to a higher one.

Whatever works to stay cozy.

If you're using a magnetic thermometer, keep in mind some of the drop in temp is due to the cooling of the bi-mettalic coil of the thermometer. The same is true of the cat probe on my BK.

A strongly radiant stove may not see the benefit of a blower like a more convective stove. With the side shields and convection deck on my BKK, I run the blowers most of the time. In my ranch house, I see an almost immediate rise in temp on the hallway thermostat when I turn them on, or go from a low setting to a higher one.

Whatever works to stay cozy.

If you're using a magnetic thermometer, keep in mind some of the drop in temp is due to the cooling of the bi-mettalic coil of the thermometer. The same is true of the cat probe on my BK.
Yes that makes sense about the sides, only the back of my stove has a plate about 2 inches off for the blower, but both sides don't. Plus my fan is noisy as hell so now i run it in the morning when it gets to 6-650 till the chill is out then I like to hear the stove make all the noises stoves make. I never got that with my fan.

On the Englander 30-NC move the mag thermo to one side of the stove or the other and place it on the side of the stove. Between where the secondary air manifold is and the top of the brick retainers. You will see the same temps with the blower running that you would see on the stove top without the blower running.

Plus my fan is noisy as hell
Fans need cleaning and maybe a drop of oil fairly often. If was that noisy when new, well that's another story.

If it is noisy, other than just the sound of the air blowing that is strange. I find the AC-16 blower to be one of the quietest I have ever had.

That's exactly what a blower is supposed to do - pull heat off the stove and circulate it into the room. 50 - 100 is about normal.
Completely agree with Doug.

Try running it both ways on similar nights. Whichever way you feel cozier is how I would run it.

On the Englander 30-NC move the mag thermo to one side of the stove or the other and place it on the side of the stove. Between where the secondary air manifold is and the top of the brick retainers. You will see the same temps with the blower running that you would see on the stove top without the blower running.
That's awesome advise, I've seen people put them on the side but never thought to move it from top dead center lol. As far as the fan i guess to me it's noisy, the sound is just the blower pushing the air out because it has always sounded the same. Maybe i like things too quiet....

Status
Not open for further replies.