Blower motor area insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Paul Judd

Oct 15, 2018
Albuquerque
I have a wood-burning fireplace insert. Directly below the fireplace is a space in the insert for a blower motor to be installed however I do not have a blower motor installed and I can feel the cold air draft coming in through that space. Would it be OK to fill that space with fireproof insulation to prevent the draft from coming into my house? Thanks.

Attachments

• F2C7B9A8-9402-4599-B5A5-7DE03768858A.jpeg
    F2C7B9A8-9402-4599-B5A5-7DE03768858A.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 89
No absolutly not. That area needs to stay open for air to circulate in order to keep the box cool. Also you dont have an insert. You have a prefab fireplace also known as a zero clearance fireplace

I have seen some magnetic covers used but you need to be sure to remove them before use