Blowing ashes when opening the door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bayshorecs

Hearth Supporter
Sep 28, 2008
Central Illinois
I am sure that is not much I can do about it, but I find opening the door on the Century Hearth stove annoying when it comes to ashes. I prevent to open the primary air completely (which helps blow some of the ash away) and then slowly open the door but I still get a decent amout of blowing ash when I open the door. I have good draft and rarely get any smoke to come out too.

Common problem? I don't think I could be doing anything wrong, it is just opening a door...

I would think that if you have good draft then ash would be drawn up not out the door. I have never had this problem. Is this when the stove is cold?? Open the primary all the way for a minute or so before opening the door and then open the door slowly, see if that helps.

That is what I am doing now.

It isn't so much that ashes are blowing out. More like when the door is open and there is a rush of air in, the ashes get blown around and some come out the door. Not THAT big of a deal, just makes a little mess in front of the door after a couple refills.

Just hold the door open just slightly for a few seconds to get the draft going enough to take all of the ash up the chimney in the draft. Same thing happens to mine but this prevents any ash from getting in the house. After a few seconds they have all "gone with the wind"

"Great balls of fire! HICCUP! It's Rhett!" Scarlet

turn the blower off

Status
Not open for further replies.