Blowing CB fuse?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon_E

Burning Hunk
Feb 24, 2014
SW VT
Backstory: about a year ago, the temperature controller in my CB5648 went bad, and I had to replace it with a new one. When I put the new one it, something blew the 5-amp fuse (I have a dual-fuel model) and it went dark. Not having any 5-map fuses, I put in a 10-amp fuse and it worked fine. The next day I went back with a pack of 5-amp fuses and put one in. It blew. I went through all five, 5-amp fuses and finally got fed up and put the 10-amp fuse back in. Up until about three weeks ago, it had been working just fine.

So, a few weeks ago I went out to feed the boiler and noticed the temperature controller was dark. Figuring that it had failed again, I bought a new one. Before I installed the new one, though, I put a new fuse in – the 10-amp that was in there had blown. I put four more 10-amp fuses in and the last one did not blow, for some reason. The temperature controller lit back up and started working again. It's still working and it's been about three weeks. However, it will only run on the propane setting. If I switch over to wood only, 5-minute startup, or dual-fuel backup, the fuse blows again. I can't keep going through fuses and I can't keep burning propane. All my connections are tight, no rodent-chewed wires, it all looks new but isn't behaving. I still have the new temperature controller that I haven’t installed yet, I have tried everything I can think of and checked everything I can get to and it's no good. I am not sure the temperature controller is the culprit. Apparently the fuse also controls the lights, but the lights haven’t worked in years so I don’t see that as the issue.

Anybody have any ideas? Or should I just hire an electrician and hope he can find the problem?

What does the temp controller control? Gas valve, pump? Maybe start measuring the loads connected to the controller to see if that part is failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.