P35I blowing fuse

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bweld1982

Nov 23, 2023
New hampshire
The other day the stove was running fine, it has been for years. I came back in the house and it was humming. Shut it down pulled it out and cleared the auger as I assumed it was jammed. Put it all back in turned it on and it ran fine for about 5 mins then blew the fuse. Unplugged all four items and plugged them back in one at a time. The fuse didn’t blow until I plugged in the green ground to the distribution motor. Replaced the fuse turned it back on and the fuse pops instantly. Anything on this?

Unplug the power source & try to inspect all wires. There may be a section of sheathing that is compromised & is causing a ground short condition.

Unplug the power source & try to inspect all wires. There may be a section of sheathing that is compromised & is causing a ground short condition.
Ok did that. Repaired whatever looked suspicious. Hooked all back up. Leave the ground off of the distribution motor, everything works. Plug that ground it and fuse pops instantly still.

It has to be something hinky in the blower. Not sure if that can be removed, disassembled & inspected.
Can you check the ground wire for continuity?

Dayum. Sure sounds like something else is shorting to the insert body, & the ground wire is causing the feedback.
Not sure where to tell you to look

....following....

Just replaced my distribution blower motor last night...replacement motor was wired completely differently than the original, but I followed their instructions on the new motor...The ground wire was the bogey. The new motor had the terminal blocked where the ground went in the old motor, then I noticed a punch out on the motor housing that is meant as a male for a female ground plug...no reference to this in the instructions...very frustrating. My original ground wire off the old motor was a circle attachment that bolted to the motor, so I found a screw on the new motor assembly and hooked up the ground to that...plug the stove in and it immediately pops the fuse....The distribution motor is bolted to the cast iron stove...so it's inherently grounded...I think the ground wire is redundant, so I'm going to try just pulling the ground off the motor tonight and running it without and see if it stops popping fuses....stay tuned...