Blueberries

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

marty319

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2014
Belair mb
Bumper crop this year.last year there was none

20220721_183604.jpg 20220720_104637.jpg

The birds don’t like to share here. I had a few not ripe blueberries, but they took all the rest. Then they move to the blackberries. I only got 1 of those.

We had a bumper crop last year, this year was good too. Sometimes we throw nets over the best few bushes.

The birds don’t like to share here. I had a few not ripe blueberries, but they took all the rest. Then they move to the blackberries. I only got 1 of those.
It's the bears we are competing with.

• Wow
Reactions: EbS-P
Last year early spring I received some sizeable and mature blueberry plants. They produced many berries last year. This year it looks like I will get very few. I am not sure if the transplant finally stunted the plants or I am doing something wrong or do they produce every other year...?

That's a nice crop. We are just starting to pick our early blues. There's bird netting over the bed and no bears to contend with I am glad to say.

I went hiking 2 weeks ago to my favorite wild blueberry mountain in Maine. I picked about a gallon and half. There are four distinct substypes in the patch and all of the wear bearing. Its been dry of late so they are not huge but still pretty good picking. The locals usually refer to high bush cultivated berries as "blue grapes"

I used to pick wild blueberries up on Mt. Riga in the Berkshires. They were tasty. We sometimes will pick wild berries up in the north Cascades if the bears haven't cleaned them out. That said, I like our 'blue grapes'. We have several varieties chosen for good flavor and bearing over several weeks. The Jerseys are the last to bear, but also the tastiest when fully ripe.

Last year early spring I received some sizeable and mature blueberry plants. They produced many berries last year. This year it looks like I will get very few. I am not sure if the transplant finally stunted the plants or I am doing something wrong or do they produce every other year...?
They want very acidic soil. PH around 5 ish. You can top dress with sulfur to lower the ph. Or add peat moss when you plant them.

Lots of berries on two large bushes but smaller this year, likely from lack of rain. Hauled some water down to them but apparently not enough.

Lots of berries on two large bushes but smaller this year, likely from lack of rain. Hauled some water down to them but apparently not enough.
Lots of moisture this year.in my 23 years of picking here I have never seen them this good.i have over 30 medium sized freezer bags .I'm good for the winter.i make muffins and put them in oatmeal and cereal.i gave away lots to elderly people out here that cannot pick anymore.

20220801_101340.jpg

Reactions: Dan Freeman
The "blue grapes" are coming on strong. This is the best crop we have ever had. There are 8 plants like this, all heavy with berries. This is Early Blue and Blue Gold. It's nice that something likes our weird weather this year.

blueberries.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bigealta