Bluing on BK nickel plated door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaTech

Burning Hunk
Oct 30, 2014
Saint Louis
Has anyone else seen this? I have a princess insert that has a nickel plated door and after doing a clean out burn as per BKVP's directions I had some nasty bluing going on with the nickel plating. I had it on high for about 1/2 hour, stove top temps were around 700, cat was about 1250-1300. Had a little more 'break in smell' as that's been the highest I have run it since installing it. After a half hour i closed it back down and cooled it back off, it did a nice job cleaning most of the crud out of the firebox and a decent cleanup job on the window, but the edges of the door were now blue!

So no more high temp clean out burns for me.

If anyone else out there has had this happen this is how I fixed it. If you have motorcycles with exposed chrome pipes they also tend to blue like that from the exhaust heat. There is a product called "Blue Job" thats designed to remove the bluing and shine them up, i use it on my bikes and it works pretty darn good. I figured I'd give it a shot on the stove door. I tried a small part on the bottom of the door in case it didn't work well, or tore up the brushed finish but it took the blue right off without any noticeable damage to the brushed texture. I'm pretty sure the stuff is a mild ceramic abrasive so if used repeatedly it probably would start wearing down the brushed texture, but since the door is all nice and shiny again the plan is just to not let it get hot enough to blue up in the first place. This won't become part of my regular door cleaning schedule if I can help it.

Just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone else has seen this on a nickel plated door before. Guessing the painted or gold plated doors do not have this same tendency, they can both probably take the heat better.

stove_door_01.JPG stove_door_02.JPG

stove_door_03.JPG stove_door_04.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The gold doors do the same thing. I polished my sister's gold with Mother's and it looked like new. Didn't last very long and it's all blue again.

Looks like that stuff works well.

My black door is still black.

Status
Not open for further replies.