bodart and gonay optifire installation, output and height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sharon

Apr 5, 2011
MA
I have about 2100 sqft with really high ceilings and having just moved in I'm realizing it is not very well insulated and there seems to be a lot of drafts. I have a question about installing a Bodart & Gonay Optifire. is I'm finding that the minimum chimney height is 15 ft and I was looking to confirm whether it could be less. The other installation question is about having an outside air intake. I may not be reading the installation manual correctly and was hoping to confirm whether or not that I must have a vent to the stove for outside air?

Appreciate your thoughts.

I am not familiar with that setup so I can't speak to the outside air kit. I can however say that 15 foot as a minimum is something that you really need. You don't want poor performance (sluggish draft) by a weak fire / smoke in your face and house as you would find w/ a chimney that is too short.

pen

I found the manual for this stove (I believe) here http://www.wittus.com/Specs/Optifire Manual.pdf

If I am reading it correctly the outside air intake is only necessary for applications where things are too tight.

Page 12 of the manual

From the gap at an entry door threshold to the direct outside air intake, everyone must choose
the solution best adapted to the installation to compensate the slight consumption of air.
Never create a depression in the room where the appliance is installed.
DO NOT SEAL ALL THE AIR INTAKES.
IF AN EXTRACTION FAN CANNOT BE AVOIDED IN THE SAME PREMISES, AN
ADEQUATE AIR INTAKE MUST BE PROVIDED TO AVOID ANY DEPRESSION

pen

sharon said:
I have about 2100 sqft with really high ceilings and having just moved in I'm realizing it is not very well insulated and there seems to be a lot of drafts. I have a question about installing a Bodart & Gonay Optifire. is I'm finding that the minimum chimney height is 15 ft and I was looking to confirm whether it could be less. The other installation question is about having an outside air intake. I may not be reading the installation manual correctly and was hoping to confirm whether or not that I must have a vent to the stove for outside air?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Do you own this place or rent it? If you own it, then put your money, time, and energy for the time being into better insulation and sealing up the drafts. Then think about the heating. You said it has "really high ceilings"...how high is that? You need to take into account the fact that the chimney needs to extend a ways above the roof after it's through there...an absolute minimum of 3 feet, and possibly more, depending on the roof configuration where the penetration's made. 15 feet may not be difficult to achieve, in fact you may even exceed that to meet code, depending on your specific configuration. Where are you going to put this woodburner...into an existing fireplace? Some more information and pics of your place sure would help the folks here do the best they can to help you with this. Rick

You would be better off exceeding the chimney height requirement, than reducing it.

Do take the time to research the heating ability of the Optifire. They are lovely and chic, but do they heat well? I can't say, this is the first time I have read about them. If not, there are other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.