Boiler Size -Biasi

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steamer

Jul 15, 2008
Southern Vt
Thinking of using a wood boiler intermitently for supplemental heat that is evenings and days off. I currently do this with my wood stove (Nashua) and can acheive good clean burns that produce virtually no creosote. Does this make sense to be able to do with an add on boiler? House is 1950 square feet with 12" in attic and 6" in walls. Last year I used 1 cord of wood and 486 gallons of fuel of which I figured about 250 gallons for hot water.
Which size boiler would be best for my on and off usage. I thought as I am not going to use it 24/7 that larger would be better for heating house to gain temperature quickly.
Sizes below:

QHT BIASI 3Wood Specifications
Model # 3Wood 4 5 6 7

Btu 75,000 89,000 104,000 120,000
Firebox depth" 14 19 23 27
Water content Gal 9 11 12 14

Size 38Hx 24W x Length 21 25 30 34

Thanks

Steamer, what oil nozzle size are you running? My house 3100 sq. feet, burned about 1000 gal of oil on heat & HW, I am installing the 6 section in a few week which is the 104KBTU. Sounds like you may be looking at the 75K or 89K. Have you spoken to Jim or Scott at QHT? Ask for eith of them, tell them Kevin S. told you to call. Jim is excellent & has been doing this stuff is whole life and he knows his s**t. Also, someone whoi may buy your house may not burn the boiler part time, but full time. Size it properly.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.