Borrowed a tractor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Murphy’s law never fails.

Borrowed a tractor from a neighbor to split some wood. Day one of splitting went well, other than the hydraulics a bit sluggish for the first 5min of running. Day two, start the tractor and within 5secs the starter starts making high pitch noise. When I depress the clutch the pitch stops. Plus, likely unrelated, the hydraulics are extremely sluggish. To the point I can turn the steering wheel freely and the wheels do not turn . At some point they start turning but it is not right.
Any comments from experts?

37548766-9BD6-4867-AD3D-E82ED42847C3.jpeg

Check the hydro fluid level. If thats all topped sounds like a pump or maybe a clogged filter? And change with different engine RPM? I’m no expert though.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
What clutch? if it's the transmission clutch that maybe the throw out bearing.

Reactions: Ashful
Is it possible that the splitters hydraulic lines pulled enough of the hydraulic fluid to cause an issue? is the tractor gear driven of hydrostatic?

Not enough info.

1. Tractor model?
  2. When you say "clutch", did you mean PTO clutch or drive clutch?
  3. Did you verify splitter was topped with correct hydro oil before connecting?
  4. What is tractor hydro oil level now?

Not enough info.

1. Tractor model?
  2. When you say "clutch", did you mean PTO clutch or drive clutch?
  3. Did you verify splitter was topped with correct hydro oil before connecting?
  4. What is tractor hydro oil level now?
The model is 110TL New Holland
It is the drive clutch I am referring to. I need to depress it in order to put the tractor in gear (low or high). The hydro oil reservoir at the back of the tractor is at the max level. But it looks like there might be another reservoir at the front axle. Will check that one

I believe the 110TL is the model of the front-end loader, not the tractor. If the tractor is newer, it's likely a Workmaster 35 or Workmaster 40, and I believe both of these come with an SSS or hydro transmission. I really only have experience with the hydro, and never on New Holland, but perhaps someone else here does. Given very few hydros have clutches anymore, I'm guessing the SSS is what you have, there.

Also, I can't speak for New Holland, but on other brands the front axle gear oil reservoir is usually separate from the hydro. It's normal for tractor manufacturers to use the rear diff as a reservoir for the hydro trans oil, but I've never seen anyone tie the front diff into that loop.

Reactions: Shank and Diabel
Not sure how that model NH is designed, but the hydraulic level could be low but still show OK on the window. Loader position, 3pt position and splitter position could all impact the fluid level.

Reactions: Diabel
It is a T1520.
Sorry for giving the loader model number before.
I looked briefly but did not see it, where would the hydro oil filter be? Close to the pump I would think. The pump is tucked under the driver seat, but see no filter.

It is a T1520.
Sorry for giving the loader model number before.
I looked briefly but did not see it, where would the hydro oil filter be? Close to the pump I would think. The pump is tucked under the driver seat, but see no filter.
Now that you have the model number, you should be able to pull up the manual and find that. But the hydro oil filter would normally be adjacent to the rear diff, assuming that's the reservoir for the hydro trans, which is pretty common among the brands I've owned. But not all of them look like an obvious oil filter can, some have a plug or plate you need to remove to change the filter, and sometimes this is on the bottom of the unit under the PTO shaft(s). Often the filter is a re-usable cylindrical screen, not looking like a cartridge type oil filter at all.

Of course, pulling the filter means dumping all the hydro oil, on those machines with filters located at the bottom of the unit. Since hydro tractors of that size will typically hold several gallons of hydro oil, you'd better price the replacement oil before moving to that step, and get yourself a big oil pan for the job. Your typical 8-12 quart automotive oil pan likely won't suffice, for this job.

Edit: All hits on google for "New Holland T1520 hydro filter" bring up pictures like this one. Should be easy to find and change, if that is indeed the one: https://www.newhollandrochester.com/shop/84401812/

Reactions: Diabel
Now that you have the model number, you should be able to pull up the manual and find that. But the hydro oil filter would normally be adjacent to the rear diff, assuming that's the reservoir for the hydro trans, which is pretty common among the brands I've owned. But not all of them look like an obvious oil filter can, some have a plug or plate you need to remove to change the filter, and sometimes this is on the bottom of the unit under the PTO shaft(s). Often the filter is a re-usable cylindrical screen, not looking like a cartridge type oil filter at all.

Of course, pulling the filter means dumping all the hydro oil, on those machines with filters located at the bottom of the unit. Since hydro tractors of that size will typically hold several gallons of hydro oil, you'd better price the replacement oil before moving to that step, and get yourself a big oil pan for the job. Your typical 8-12 quart automotive oil pan likely won't suffice, for this job.

Edit: All hits on google for "New Holland T1520 hydro filter" bring up pictures like this one. Should be easy to find and change, if that is indeed the one: https://www.newhollandrochester.com/shop/84401812/
Thank you.

You got a local New Holland dealer who could give you the correct filter(s) and location? If so, their service manager is also likely to know exactly what's wrong with this machine, based on your description. At least the local Deere and IH dealers around here are always willing to talk you thru the problem for DIY, knowing you're likely a paying parts customer, and more willing to bring the machine to them when a job is outside your DIY capacity.

The dealer is about 40miles away. The owner/neighbor will call them. They do house calls.
Thanks for the input.

Thank you everyone for the comments. Replaced the hydro filter and everything seems to work as normal. Apparently, the filter had around 300h on it. I am happy I did not break neighbours machine!

That’s always a gut wrenching feeling...
Glad it was something easy. Now get it back to his house before it breaks down again! !!!

That’s always a gut wrenching feeling...
Glad it was something easy. Now get it back to his house before it breaks down again! !!!
I did. Now i am afraid to take it again. Have at least 30 more rounds to split, bunch of pallets to move around, try to grade my driveway (due to washouts), bring some 1/2 cord of shoulder season wood to the house. We’ll see

You must know the guy pretty well for him to let you borrow the tractor! I'm glad it worked out easy for you. Maybe you could use it to move your saw logs to a more convenient location?

You must know the guy pretty well for him to let you borrow the tractor! I'm glad it worked out easy for you. Maybe you could use it to move your saw logs to a more convenient location?
He is a good friend. Still, i never like to borrow items that are mechanized and worked hard. I do not think that tractor can move those logs. We had a massive storm go through last May. I have several 20” cedars and hemlocks down that are much more manageable for milling. Those big suckers that you saw in the different thread will be used for firewood or fire pit.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I hate asking to borrow stuff but sometimes you just don’t have a choice. The last tool I borrowed was a co workers 6’ box blade. He hadn’t abused it but you could tell it had set out quite a bit. I had it for two months and cleaned it up good and painted it before I took it back. That was two years ago and it’s still setting in the mud where he unloaded it...

Reactions: SpaceBus
I hate asking to borrow stuff but sometimes you just don’t have a choice. The last tool I borrowed was a co workers 6’ box blade. He hadn’t abused it but you could tell it had set out quite a bit. I had it for two months and cleaned it up good and painted it before I took it back. That was two years ago and it’s still setting in the mud where he unloaded it...
That's a great way to pay someone back for borrowing their gear.