Bottom line burning pine "argument"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, splitting Pine makes for a good "show off" wood. I like to watch these Alaska shows, I would like to replace some of their softwood with a piece of Gum and watch them lose their mind trying to split it with an axe.
I hear that. I just finished splitting 2 large sweet gum trees that had died last year. Since all my wood is usually harvested from dead trees on our property, I am half hoping for an ice storm to take down some pine trees so all I will have to split for a while will be pine.

burning pine is gonna make you go bald - or grey - or both. And I blame it for my middle aged gut as well.....
And I am not positive, but pretty sure there is a correlation to burning pine and consuming pork - mostly the smoked varieties.

Doctor if what? Medical doctor? Just because someone has a fancy piece of parchment doesn't necessarily make them smarter in every topic ... heck in some things some of the smartest people I know barely passed high school.
Yes, but i'm young, he has 35 years on me and was surprised that i was blatantly contradicting what he had "known" for so long.
Twas fun educating the educated :)

burning pine is gonna make you go bald - or grey - or both. And I blame it for my middle aged gut as well.....
And I am not positive, but pretty sure there is a correlation to burning pine and consuming pork - mostly the smoked varieties.
Hence the "jokes aside" request, thanks for holding out till page 2 :)
It's funny how there isn't one thread about pine on this forum without the jokes..

thanks for holding out till page 2 :)

Some of the coldest heating regions have no other choice but pine or its cousins and moose dung simply isn't prevalent enough as a fuel supply. Doctor or no - try and tell those folks that they can't burn pine.

It's funny how there isn't one thread about pine on this forum without the jokes..

I simply can't help myself...:p (FFJ obviously has more self control than I for walking away from it this time ;lol) but this is akin to asking a midwestern church lady if she can make a "casserole". I'll try to be good.....;em

(all jokes were made in good fun and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or position of this site).

I'm burning it right now, it smells great and is great for the days when I am hear to load up the stove.

I agree, I'll take D-fir any day. But lodgepole is a far site better than ponderosa. I put P-pine down there with white fir, But if there laying next to the road I'll cut it up. I think juniper is right on par with D-Fir.
Yup doug fir is what I prefer as well but we have more dead lodgepole than fir so I have quite a bit of it. Ponderosa pine is lower btu than lodgepole and I have to drive at least 45 minutes to get any so its a now brainer for me. Lodgepole and doug fir are my daytime burning wood and the mighty larch is what I use for overnights or extended absences from the house.

I have noticed though that some of the pine we have down south will have so much pitch that it will literally light up with a match and burn with thick black smoke as if it had been soaked in diesel, even when well seasoned.
Had a couple rounds I got from who knows where that did this. Don't know what it was but was clearly pine. Always wanted to hear some thoughts from people who have had similar.

Yes, but i'm young, he has 35 years on me and was surprised that i was blatantly contradicting what he had "known" for so long.
Twas fun educating the educated :)

A couple thoughts . . . well maybe a few more than a couple.

-- Just because you've done something one way for a long time or believe something for a long time doesn't make it right . . . apparently some folks were a bit shocked to learn that the world was not flat as they always believed many, many, many years ago.

-- With age often comes wisdom . . . but sometimes the newly educated can be pretty darn smart too as they may be more up to date with new information, techniques or have just learned the information so it is new . . . my wife says new doctors that she works with often lack the experience of having seen the same conditions or symptoms of an illness or disease, but they often make up for it in the fact that they know about the latest and greatest treatments and research.

-- Sounds like the doctor was pretty open minded . . . didn't just poo-poo you or think you were off your rocker.

Had a couple rounds I got from who knows where that did this. Don't know what it was but was clearly pine. Always wanted to hear some thoughts from people who have had similar.

I've mentioned this before, but at the risk of boring folks I'll mention it again . . . I had some white pine that I cut down and then I tried to burn the huge rounds soon after cutting down the tree. The branches burned up, but the large rounds did not. They charred and the fire eventually went out so I rolled them off to the side of the property until several years later when I figured I was now burning wood so I might as well split up those rounds.

That wood (after a year or so of seasoning) produced a fairly intense burn with a lot of thick, black smoke that my friend dubbed "diesel wood." My own theory is that by leavin it in a round and then charring it that the pitch might not have been able to evaporate or make its way out of the wood as easily and was in essence sealed into the wood . . . I'm no scientist though so it may just be a crackpot theory.

Some of the coldest heating regions have no other choice but pine or its cousins and moose dung simply isn't prevalent enough as a fuel supply. Doctor or no - try and tell those folks that they can't burn pine.

I simply can't help myself...:p (FFJ obviously has more self control than I for walking away from it this time ;lol) but this is akin to asking a midwestern church lady if she can make a "casserole". I'll try to be good.....;em

(all jokes were made in good fun and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or position of this site).

Burning pine is a very serious matter Jags . . . I mean, hell, look at me . . . I'm bald, half blind and got a big ol' gut . . . I never joke about pine when it can do this to a guy in a matter of 45 years.

Reactions: Jags and baseroom
-- Sounds like the doctor was pretty open minded . . . didn't just poo-poo you or think you were off your rocker.

At first he did, but when i spoke to him again and explained in detail he couldn't argue.

So the "tar" thing is the only thing i'm left concerned about...
But if it will dry out if C/S/S then no worries...

All wood that is seasoned is good to burn. Wood that is not dry regardless hard wood or soft wood will produce chimney creosote.

Status
Not open for further replies.