Bought a house with a stove - question about clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ej80

Nov 2, 2020
New York
Hi - first time wood stove owner. I recently bought a house that has a wood stove installed - after searching around on the internet it looks like it is probably a Jotul F3 CB. I'll attach pictures below. My question is about clearances - the stove is installed on a tile surface and the pipe connects to a stone chimney - however built into one side of the chimney is a wooden bookcase (white, on left hand side of pictures below) - this bookcase is only about 3" from the back of the stove. Is this unsafe? the manual seems to say it should be 8" from flammable surfaces. If it is unsafe is there any simple way for me to remediate it?

Many thanks in advance,

-Eric
IMG_1094.jpgIMG_1096.jpg

Hi - first time wood stove owner. I recently bought a house that has a wood stove installed - after searching around on the internet it looks like it is probably a Jotul F3 CB. I'll attach pictures below. My question is about clearances - the stove is installed on a tile surface and the pipe connects to a stone chimney - however built into one side of the chimney is a wooden bookcase (white, on left hand side of pictures below) - this bookcase is only about 3" from the back of the stove. Is this unsafe? the manual seems to say it should be 8" from flammable surfaces. If it is unsafe is there any simple way for me to remediate it?

Many thanks in advance,

-Eric
View attachment 266078View attachment 266079
Yes it is unsafe

Yes, it's much too close. The F3CB can put out a lot of heat. Is that single-wall stove pipe or double-wall. With single-wall the clearance requirement is 25" and 10" for double-wall. Can the bookcase be moved?

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 6.13.51 PM.png

Yes, it's much too close. The F3CB can put out a lot of heat. Is that single-wall stove pipe or double-wall. With single-wall the clearance requirement is 25" and 10" for double-wall. Can the bookcase be moved?

View attachment 266089
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I will look into removing the bookcase. I don't know if the stove pipe is single or double-walled - is there any easy way for me to tell? As I said I haven't used wood stoves before - I do like the idea of using one, but want to be sure I'm doing it in a safe way.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I will look into removing the bookcase. I don't know if the stove pipe is single or double-walled - is there any easy way for me to tell? As I said I haven't used wood stoves before - I do like the idea of using one, but want to be sure I'm doing it in a safe way.

I’ll mention it before someone else does...

Before burning this stove, have a certified sweep inspect your chimney. You’ll want to know if it has a stainless steel liner, is it insulated... if there is no stainless liner, what shape is the chimney actually in? Could be cracked, could have exposed wood, etc.