Bought a new Morso

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Minister of Fire
Mar 2, 2007
South Western Wisconsin
First off thanks for all the help from everyone, it was harder to do than I thought. Just to many nice stoves but I had to choose just one. As you remember I have a weekend cabin, that we use in winter, and do not heat when we are not there. For this reason I decided not to get a soapstone, even though I think they are the nicest looking. Still might get one when I retire.

I liked the Pacific Energy, Dutch West, Lopi, Isle Roayl, and Morso 3610. Each one had a few options that were interesting, not one stove has every bell and whistle. Even the Morso has a few quirks i.e. the handle.

Got a new Morso at a good price and that made my mind up for me. Every few days it seems like I changed my mind, or you heard something good or bad about this or that stove. I read over the stove ratings of every stove that I liked. But found that some of the remarks made me think there could be some user error, or draft issue, and not so much a problem with the stove.

I picked up my stove from the dealer and sure enough it rained all day, bad luck I guess. The dealer wrapped the stove real nice, then I put a movers blanket over it, and then a plastic tarp, and then the dealer wrapped it in plastic that sticks to itself. I put two ratchet straps around the stove and off I went.

While updating the stove I decided to go with double wall adjustable pipe, made the installation a breeze. I had three big friends help me pull out the old stove and install the new one. I think it took 5 minuets for the switch. While waiting for my buddies to arrive I pulled out the old chimney and ran the brush up and down a few times to make sure it was clean.

One thing I didn't like was the side door gasket was in with the hot pad. So I had to glue it in, you would think a new stove would have the gaskets installed. Lucky I had the cement glue to install the gasket. Once the stove is connected to the chimney you gotta have a fire asap.

During the weekend I had three very small break in fires. The flames really lick the top of the stove, very decorative fire. Starting the fire while using the front door, works extremely well, because the ash pan is open under the grate. There is no separate door for the ash pan.

We have a black leather couch and two matching chairs, and the black cast stove fits right in with the decor.

I notice a little better draft and I am going to attribute it to the stainless interior chimney, because it's double wall. My chimney was pretty clean so I don't think running the brush up there increased the draft any. By the way the double wall pipe looks nicer than my single wall steel pipe.

I originally had a steel stove and I can feel a different kind of heat from the cast. I am not crazy about the handle, because of the spring on it. So I am going to pull the spring off and see if I like that better. Might grind off the nub on the handle also. I guess it's a child proof issue, or maybe a liability issue. I don't have small children so for me I don't need a pop out handle.

Choosing cast iron was a big debate, because steel does get up to temperature fast and seems to give off a lot of heat. But this stove has a big firebox, I have a furnace also, and while the house is warming up, my wife and I go out for a few drinks. By the time we get home were both toasted, I mean toasty.

My initial or gut reaction after working with the stove for a few days, I think I am going to like it allot. Just hope I don't have any problems down the road. One additional reason I liked this stove is you can get a screen that fits in it. So on those not so chilly nights you can have the doors open for a nice entertaining fire, and lock the doors when you go to bed.

I checked out all the dealers to see what lines they carried. For some of the stoves recommended here I did a dealer search on the web and then drove to these places to look over these stoves. I asked lots of questions, got some very strange answers and some good answers. (gonna post the bazaar ones later on) Nothing is better than trying the locks on the doors, looking at how the hinges attach, asking the dealerto fire up the stove your interested in. Look at how the ash is going to be removed. etc.

It looks like a well made stove and I hope to have many years of enjoyment using it.

How about some pictures with that nice double wall stainless. I would love to see how it looks.

Congrats Smokey, that 3610 is a unique-looking stove.No Morso dealers near me or I would have had one on my latest wish-list.How big is that firebox?Does it load e-w,n-s,or both?Enjoy and keep on burnin'.

I post pictures by clicking on "post reply" and then the fourth box below the reply box has an attachment function where you "browse" your computer for the photo and then double click on the photo file to upload it.

I like burning slash with a leaf blower.

Attachments

• shrunkburn2.JPG
    shrunkburn2.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 303
Cool Smokey. Looks good seeing 3610 in your sig. If you want you can pm me and send it via email. I'll post it for ya.

Highbeam said:
I post pictures by clicking on "post reply" and then the fourth box below the reply box has an attachment function where you "browse" your computer for the photo and then double click on the photo file to upload it.

I like burning slash with a leaf blower.

Oh man, I can see burning issues having a coronary about now.

Highbeam, I like the way you think(burn).Imagine this: a can of wd40and one bic lighter in front of that leaf blower.I'm seeing a 30' flame! :coolsmile:

Congrats Smokey,
Those are nice looking stoves. Too bad you have to wait all summer to really fire her up.

Todd said:
Congrats Smokey,
Those are nice looking stoves. Too bad you have to wait all summer to really fire her up.

Remember it's in a cabin, he could be using it all Summer. We are expecting snow in the mountains here before the weekend. It was 83* today. Go figure.

Nice you got a cast stove, remember they build diesel engines out of iron, no aluminium.

Your gonna love that side load option too Smokey ;)

Take that dang spring off and the handle is a non-issue, we put ours on the fireplace tool rack. Hopefully you get some cool nights at the camp soon :)

Yes it does side load, should be able to really load her up, on those cold nights. It drops below 65 and I am gonna fire her up. I'll take some pictures next weekend and post them.

Status
Not open for further replies.