Bought my long awaited HearthStone Heritage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

They Call Me Pete

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2007
CT
Went out to local stove shop and pulled the trigger. I've got some work going from the insert to this one though. Going to build hearth out more and wall off fireplace to give it a more finished look. I can wait to get it and have the first fire in it. Will post pics of work I'm doing as I go so stay tuned.

Welcome to the Stoner Club :)

You are going to love that stove. Hearthstone makes solid products. Good luck.

"Stoner club" That's great!

I'm itching to light mine up too.

I can't wait to install it and fire it up. Life is good

I do have one question about the stove for those of you who own one. Do you have a clean out T installed somewhere or can you access chimney pipe from inside stove for cleaning. Mine is going to be installed in my fireplace and I wanted to wall off the opening but that wouldn't give my a place to remove soot from cleaning. My thoughts on it right now is to install a clean out T instead of a 90 elbow at the back of stove but that theory doesn't allow me to close off fireplace.

Mine sits in front of my fireplace (check my old posts - lots of pix). So I do have a T w/ cleanout cap out the back, yes. Were I to wanna completely close off the face of the fireplace, I could conjure up a plan to do so. But I'd hafta get pretty motivated to do that. It'd involve a very carefully fit pair of metal plates cut to fit nicely around the pipe out the back, which could be unhooked and removed for cleaning.

But I don't mind the look one bit as it is. Nor does mama. In fact, since I routinely wanna measure pipe and/or gas temps, I wanna be able to see that pipe. Wish I could see more of the vertical run, in fact.

If yours is truly "inside the fireplace" and you wanna go straight up w/ the pipe, you certainly can. You'd just wanna get adept at pulling the refractory baffle pins out, and then removing the delicate baffle from the top (it pushes up, then comes down between the 1st and 2nd tubes up top). You would wanna remove that for cleaning anyways, I'd think.

Feed your Heritage well-seasoned, dry wood and you will really enjoy it!

I own a heritage and sweep the chimney right into the stove. To do this I pop out the baffle and I'm getting pretty good at it, the baffle is much more stout then you might think. From inside the stove, with the baffle removed, you could easily feed the shop vac tube into the rear flue conenction. Plenty of room. In fact, when you sweep the chimney into the stove the debris builds up in the rear flue block off plate so I need to suck out that pocket. I know that I could suck out the rear flue.

I've shoved about 11.5 cords through my heritage and it still works great.

Highbeam and Edthedawg I recently ran into a rear venting Heritage in which I need to remove the baffle in order to run a vacuum hose thru the horizontal connector pipe. How do you get this baffle out? If I get it out, will that allow me to access the stove collar when it is set up to vent out the back side, horizontally?

Thanks Fred Wark Olde England Chimnney Sweep pinckney MI

Baffle is easy to remove. untwist the cotter pins, push them up gently, then tilt forward and lower it down between the front and middle tube. be ready for the pins and their backer plate to slip forward when you tilt it. don't lose 'em in there :) if your hand is small enough, you might be able to reach in and pull them out when you push them up.

the board is pretty durable. just don't go smacking it. don't be alarmed if you find a buncha extra cement chunks up in there, too. perfectly normal for that to be there. just chuck 'em out.

and yes - easy access to the rear exit collar w/ the baffle out.

TheChimneySweep (tom oyen) posted detailed instructions on the removal and replacement. probably one of us could locate it shortly, if you need more info.

good luck!

Edthedawg Thanks for the info. You are quicker to respond then the technical support people from Hearthstone. I am going back to this customers house early next week. I will look for these cotter pins and see what I can do. You mentioned that Tom Oven posted more detailed instructions. Are they on this (heart.com) website? I will do a search for them. If you do run across them, could you inform me? Thank

Thanks again Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.