Bought my stove and chimney tonight...on to the hearth!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
Well it was a good $1000 more than I had anticipated, but I got it! $5100 OTD

I bought the VC Encore 2 in 1 wood stove in enamel biscuit finish. Then I got double walled chimney and stove pipe (Duratech) along with all the parts/pieces. Just wanted to thank everyone who lent me their opinion/experience in the past few months. I greatly appreciate it! :)

I also have a sheet of Micore (sp?) that I bought to use when making the hearth. I was told I can use any grout and tile. I figure I'll get some nice wood trim, cement board/plywood/etc...and make myself a nice hearth. In the mean time I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions until the stove is installed in February.

Thanks again!!

-Emt1581

Congrats. As for the hearth, take your time, plan it out and enjoy it for years to come. Pictures when it's done : )

Congratulations, and you're welcome, if I was anything more than an annoyance. :)

Where did you end up getting your flue parts?

Might I just add, at the risk of being unoriginal: Congrats. As for the hearth, take your time, plan it out and enjoy it for years to come. Pictures when it’s done : )

And let us know how that 2in1 works - seems to be there are at least a few very happy new owners so far.

Onward and upward now. Does the total price include installation?

And downward too. Just to confirm, there will be at least one or two layers of cement board on top of the micore, correct?

BeGreen said:
Onward and upward now. Does the total price include installation?

And downward too. Just to confirm, there will be at least one or two layers of cement board on top of the micore, correct?

Nope, installation is another $800-$1000.

I asked why the Chimney price came to $1900 WITH 25% off and was told that because I have a sophet/overhang...all 3 inches of it...I needed two pieces of something to accommodate for it that cost $300/pair. Seriously, the chimney parts list itself was easily 15 items. THAT is what jacked the price up. And had the installer not backed me into a corner right at the last minute, there's no way in hell I'd have bought the chimney from the stove shop!! They basically took MSRP out of the book for everything...or above it in some cases. THEN they knocked the percentage off. Kind of like raising the prices then having a sale IMO. But whatever, it's done, it's paid for. Now I just need to wait until my hardwood floors are refinished in late January to get this sucker up and burning!

I can't wait to feel the warmth and try cooking on it!! :)

-Emt1581

I'm glad you made the informed decision that was right for you.

Yes, there are two routes to chimney/stove installation.

DIY, which, as you discovered, involves shopping for the best prices, figuring out all the parts you need, figuring out the design and installation requirements, being surprised at additional considerations that a pro sees instantly (like your need for elbows and offset for your overhang), often buying from multiple sources, and having no one person to hold accountable when things don't work.

Or go with a good pro, who will handle all these things and troubleshoot it, at a higher cost which fairly compensates him for his time and expertise.

The choice is the buyer's, and, unless someone holds a gun on them, is a wonderful deal either way. Yer pays yer money and yer makes yer choices.

Please keep us informed, especially about how you like that cool new stove! Happy burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.