Box Elder wood, OK to burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hammmitc

Hearth Supporter
Dec 1, 2007
Perkiomenville, PA
I am able to get a bunch of box elder wood for free, 3-4 cords, I know it is a soft wood, any problems with burning this wood once it is dry?

I have some of it. Makes good kindling. It lights pretty easily. It would be good to have on hand for the shoulder seasons too.

-SF

I burned alot of it this spring. Not a long lasting burn but good for taking the chill off.

When I split what I have, I'm going to stack it separately so that I can keep track of what wood is what. So far, I have some pine, box elder, red oak, and osage. As long as I know which is which, it will be easier to adjust my heat output as needed.

-SF

SlyFerret said:
When I split what I have, I'm going to stack it separately so that I can keep track of what wood is what. So far, I have some pine, box elder, red oak, and osage. As long as I know which is which, it will be easier to adjust my heat output as needed.

-SF

Sly - once the box elder gets fully seasoned, you would be able to pick it out of your list of wood in a heart beat. It will have half the weight of the pine and a 3rd of of the oak and osage. Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing the BE, but it typically will season to a very light weight per size of split. I have burned it, and guess what?? It produces heat. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.