Breakwell BIG E stove questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bailenforcer

Sep 16, 2007
I have a Breckwell Big E pellet stove and want to burn corn in it, I am told by the manufacturer I can burn a 1/3 corn mix to 2/3 wood pellets. Is there anyone who can shed light on corn burning and how much can I actually burn and how often I need to clean the clinkers ect

Wood pellets are getting near impossible to find here.

bailenforcer,

I have a big E also and have burned corn. I burned 50/50 for a while but had to scrape the fire pot 2 to 3 times a day. If you burn less corn you will need to scrape less. I would follow the 1/3 recommendation as it really is the best setup. 50/50 mix also would not autostart every time. But 1/3 is prefect with autostart. This all depends on the corn and pellet quality. I was using cheap pellets at the time. I never tried it again with a better pellet and corn mix.

I would still burn the 1/3 mix but shelled corn in CT. is almost impossible to find and as expensive as pellets.

Jay

Corn is way more corrosive then wood pellets which is why Breckwell does not recommend using corn , or one of the reasons. One question , if you wanted to burn corn , why did you not buy a stove designed to burn corn ?

They did say that a 1/3 corn to 2/3 wood was just fine.

I have owned this stove since it was first made I am guessing 7 years ago now. Back then corn stoves were unheard of for the most part.

buildingmaint said:
Corn is way more corrosive then wood pellets which is why Breckwell does not recommend using corn , or one of the reasons. One question , if you wanted to burn corn , why did you not buy a stove designed to burn corn ?

I can still get corn at $200 a ton here bagged.

I learned with cheap pellets to take about ten pellets throw them in the burn pot before I restart the stove, it works perfectly for hard to ignite issues like using a corn mix

Thanks I am going to try the 1/3 mix then. I am going to install a fireplace insert next week tired of fighting for pellets, so I will use the pellet stove as back up or run it on the lowest setting when I leave the house for more than an hour or two. I have a Avalon 996 wood stove and fore place insert thats actually brand new never used. A buddies Y2K purchase LOL.

jtakeman said:
bailenforcer,

I have a big E also and have burned corn. I burned 50/50 for a while but had to scrape the fire pot 2 to 3 times a day. If you burn less corn you will need to scrape less. I would follow the 1/3 recommendation as it really is the best setup. 50/50 mix also would not autostart every time. But 1/3 is prefect with autostart. This all depends on the corn and pellet quality. I was using cheap pellets at the time. I never tried it again with a better pellet and corn mix.

I would still burn the 1/3 mix but shelled corn in CT. is almost impossible to find and as expensive as pellets.

Jay

Yes, That how I got it to start, Half a handful of pellets and it would start no problem.

Like buildingmaint said, There is more corrosion from corn, I think breckwell used to say a 50/50 mix. But because of the corrosion the reduced it to 1/3 mix. I don't think they recommend any corn in the cast burn pots, Just the stainless steel.

jay

The last seminar I was at by Breckwell (6 months ago) said burn pellets in a pellet stove and corn in a corn stove. PERIOD.

Corn is very corrosive and will eat metal like a Crackhead is drawn to copper pipe. I would stay away from corn in any Breckwell except their one attempt at a corn stove.

Not only think about the exhaust pipe but the combustion blower, heat manifold, and internal exhaust of the stove. The burn pot is not an issue since corn has less BTU than pellets and is stainless steel or cast.

Eric

Eric,

You better tell breckwell to send all owners of the bigE new manuals, Mine clearly states corn in 1/3 mix,

You know as well as I that every piece of that corn stove is the same as every other breckwell stove. Except for the burnpot style, Auger in the pot and the timing of the control board.

Blowers exhaust fans and what have you are the same part number. Breckwell has the generic one part fits almost all rule!

Gotta call you on this one.

Jay

They used to put COCAINE in Coke Cola , they used to say smoking did not cause cancer , so I guess others have been wrong before . I f Breckwell said don't do it[USE CORN IN A PELLET STOVE ] , and they make the stoves , why question them ? Who are the experts here ?

I guess Breckwell didn't write my manual then.

Trust me I only tried it. I didn't do it for long. I was curious.

I rather burn the best pellets I can get and afford.

But if pellets are low and I can get corn cheap. My manual say's mix. I'm gonna mix.

I even checked Breckwell site, There PDF still says 1/3 mix.

If its wrong they should change and notify all registered owners.

NO?

Strange because less than 6 months ago October 08 I was told by their tech guy that corn was ok but only 1/3 corn to 2/3 wood pellets. Geesh this is confusing. This was on a telephone call to them.

buildingmaint said:
They used to put COCAINE in Coke Cola , they used to say smoking did not cause cancer , so I guess others have been wrong before . I f Breckwell said don't do it[USE CORN IN A PELLET STOVE ] , and they make the stoves , why question them ? Who are the experts here ?

I also asked, Got the same answer. As long as it was 1/3, It was OK.

I'll call again today. See what they say.

I do know my Quadrafire model 800(unless thats changed) is rated for 1/2 corn mix, So I can always use that.

I just check my chimney manufactor, It rated for multi fuels- Biofuels.

http://www.duravent.com/2c.php

I could not get a straight answer from breckwell rep's. 1st lady said yes then took a full turn and refered me to someone that was out of the office. I left a message and I'm sure I wont get the call back from them. I called the guy who just worked on my stove and He said there was no problem.

I'm confused and but determained to get the scoop! I'll call the breckwell rep till I get him. But so far there are more people saying no than yes.

I might have to apologize to Eric and buildingmaint. They may be right.

Here the scoop right from Breckwell CSD.

Breckwell pellet stoves are designed and tested to use wood pellets.
While it is possible to burn a corn mixture (corn mixed in with wood
pellets. 1/3 corn and 2/3 pellets) in the stove, it is not recommended to burn above the
number 3 heat level. No other types of fuel have been
approved for Breckwell pellet stoves.

He added that they really don't recommend burning anything other that pellets. Due to clinkers in the burn pot, wear and tear of the stove and over all stove performance. Buy a corn stove if you want to burn corn(where did I hear that?) you will be better off.

I apologize I was totally wrong. Please don't take away my beer! from now on I will do more listening than talking. Eric and Buildingmaint please forgive me!

jay

jtakeman said:
Here the scoop right from Breckwell CSD.

Breckwell pellet stoves are designed and tested to use wood pellets.
While it is possible to burn a corn mixture (corn mixed in with wood
pellets. 1/3 corn and 2/3 pellets) in the stove, it is not recommended to burn above the
number 3 heat level. No other types of fuel have been
approved for Breckwell pellet stoves.

He added that they really don't recommend burning anything other that pellets. Due to clinkers in the burn pot, wear and tear of the stove and over all stove performance. Buy a corn stove if you want to burn corn(where did I hear that?) you will be better off.

I apologize I was totally wrong. Please don't take away my beer! from now on I will do more listening than talking. Eric and Buildingmaint please forgive me!

jay

You Sir, are on 1/2 rations of beer till the end of the Super Bowl. I do not make this stuff up.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.