Breckwell Big E 1000 Blower problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BraveOne

Nov 6, 2019
Iowa
Well, picked up a used Big E for almost nothing...came with the twelve feet of exhaust, and everything. I got it installed over the weekend, only thing I haven't done yet is install the OAK. I am having some issues... and I have a feeling that the crowd may be able to help me solve things a little faster, as I cannot find an installer in the area that will come and look at it for me.

My issues are as follows:

When I plug the unit into the wall, the blower for the heat exchanger turns on immediately, even before I turn the unit on via the button on the control board. Once I turn the unit on, the blower remains on for several minutes, and then turns off. The unit operates as it should as far as burner and exhaust go, although the exhaust tubing certainly gets hotter than I expected it to, inside and out. However, the blower for the heat exchanger NEVER turns back on while the unit is in use. The auger drops pellets in every twenty to thirty seconds, you can hear the exhaust blower going, and the burn chamber doesn't fill with smoke, so I know it's all working appropriately...but the only heat that is being produced is the ambient heat I can feel within 18" to 2' of the unit itself.

Now, when I turn the unit off with the button on the control board, after a while, the blower will kick back on again, and it will kick on and off intermittently as long as the unit is plugged into the wall...but NEVER while the burner is in operation and a fire is going. Can anyone PLEASE give me a recommendation? Thank you!!!

Rich

Try jumping the pof snap disc by the combustion blower housing, but if anything comes on when you first plug the stove in there is usually a problem with the control board.

How would I go about doing that?

Also, interesting update, my wife turned it on this morning, it ran for about an hour and a half with the blower running appropriately, and the high fan switch was working to turn the blower on and off. The feed trim reset still isn't working either, though... And the blower eventually quit working.

Ok this is how the stove should work normally. When you plug it in the combustion motor should turn on for a split second then stay off. When you push the on button the combustion motor should start running, the auger feed motor should start and feed pellets, the stove is now in start up mode. Heat settings will not change till start up is complete about 10-12 min. As the fire burns and stove gets warm it should turn on the convection blower motor, and warm air should exit the tubes. After startup you can adjust the heat settings.

Google the manual and read it thoroughly

I've read the through the manual about thirty times at this point... And I've tried every step it recommends. It seems that the board very well may be malfunctioning.

And of course Breckwell is one of the more expensive boards. I would shop CL and market place and find another big E with a good board and buy the whole stove, strip it for the parts and scrap the carcass. I have a tested breckwell board but its an older 4 speed.