Breckwell Big E - strong soot smell when shut down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

movemaine

Minister of Fire
Nov 28, 2011
Central Maine
movemaine.com
Breckwell Big E - exhausts through a thimble to an outside pipe running 8' vertically outside of the house.

I've checked the connections and everything seems tight, however when the stove shuts down the stove smells more like soot/smoke than I would like (or used to with my former Harman).

What are some things I should check to reduce the soot smell?

The square exhaust flange that is bolted onto the exhaust housing near to that round white temp sensor. The bolts may get loose and then the silicone seal breaks and the exhaust leaks.
I pull apart and add new silicone and the. Re-install with larger self tappers for a strong connection for a permanent seal. :)

Reactions: movemaine
Have u checked for pellets down in the ashes that may be smoldering for sometime after the stove shuts off? The smoke sneaks out under the glass

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ssyko
So, I replaced the blower and the housing, but I'm still getting a strong soot smell. It seems as though the smell is strongest near the heat exchange tubes. I've replaced the gasket around the door, so any other thoughts?

So, I replaced the blower and the housing, but I'm still getting a strong soot smell. It seems as though the smell is strongest near the heat exchange tubes. I've replaced the gasket around the door, so any other thoughts?
Yes, usually that means there is a leak in the exhaust pipe and the room blower is pulling it thru the stove.

The header says you get the smell with the stove off
Is this correct?
If it is do you have an OAK?
If there is no OAK then you are most likely getting a downdraft
in the chimney causing the smell

Reactions: sbatzold
I'm with you Johneh. During the summer I sometimes get a soot smell from the stove from humidity coming into the stove from the exhaust.

The header says you get the smell with the stove off
Is this correct?
If it is do you have an OAK?
If there is no OAK then you are most likely getting a downdraft
in the chimney causing the smell

I do have an OAK.

Is it possible that I'm getting some sort of backdraft from the exterior chimney pipe? Or something similar? (stove is off)

I haven't burned for two days, yet sitting near the stove and the soot smell is very noticeable.