Breckwell convection blower problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveeb2000

Dec 1, 2010
California
I have a Breckwell p24. I just got used, everything works fine during start up but after an hour or so the convection blower shuts off? After the stove cools down it will start up again if i turn the stove off and back on. I will run great for another 45 mins then shuts off. When it shuts off the auger and combustion blower still work fine. Any ideas?

Daveeb2000 said:
I have a Breckwell p24. I just got used, everything works fine during start up but after an hour or so the convection blower shuts off? After the stove cools down it will start up again if i turn the stove off and back on. I will run great for another 45 mins then shuts off. When it shuts off the auger and combustion blower still work fine. Any ideas?

A couple of things to try:

1. Remove the convection fan and give it a good cleaning.

2. If there are oil ports on blower's motor, check the manufacturers plate and see what it says to use for oil. Frequently it is SAE#20 without detergent, this is the same as 3 in 1 blue and white can. Oil the blower. I would use two drops in each port turning the fan by hand in both directions until it freely spins, then add one more drop in each port.

Not all blowers require oil, those that do should be routinely oiled at least once every six months of use. I attend to mine when I do the so called annual cleaning (about every ton or so)

It is possible that your blower may not be retrievable this way but it should at least last you until a new one arrives.

Let me ask you this is there a thermo shut off or something in the convection blower itself that is turning it off if it gets to hot, cause when it did shut off i felt the outside case and it was real hot?

Daveeb2000 said:
Let me ask you this is there a thermo shut off or something in the convection blower itself that is turning it off if it gets to hot, cause when it did shut off i felt the outside case and it was real hot?

The motors are thermally protected and will stop until the temperature drops enough and then restart.

You should consult your manual, there are several possible causes, I only addressed one of them.

Another is that you have operated the stove at too high a firing rate for too long.

Yet another is that the bearing are failing.

There are other reasons that will cause a convection fan to quit but these are the normal ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.