Breckwell P23 Insert Problem!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

superwhite06

Jan 27, 2009
Fishkill, NY
Maybe someone can help me here.

I have a brand new Breckwell P23 Insert in my fireplace, my parents bought it on the Internet. When we first got the unit and installed it ourselves everything worked great but recently when we have the stove on the number 3 setting there is a terrible noise coming from the heat exchange tubes. It is so noisy we can not sit in the living room where the stove is to even watch TV, it is that loud.

Now I have tried calling Breckwell but they never got back to me after 3 weeks, so I am now going to the Internet before calling a dealer near me to have them come look at it.

Hopefully someone can give me some insight on what the problem might be.

Thanks for the help.

Greg

Most likely its the convection blower motor. You probably need to clean and lude the blower with light weight oil. Do a search on breckwell convection blower. There are several threads about it.

How long has the stove been running?? And how many tons of pellets have you burned?? Best to do a complete cleaning if more than a ton.

Good luck
Jay

Ok, I will search for those threads now.

The stove runs constantly because of the cold weather here in NY, but we do shut it down at least 2-3 times a week to do a good cleaning on it, vacuum everything out brush the heat exchange tubes and even uncover the side vent holes just to see how much ash is behind them. I am going to say we have burned about 1.5 tons so far maybe less.

Thanks Jay

Greg

By Complete cleaning I mean remove the blowers and clean and lube. Clean your exhaust pipe by brushing out the buildup.
Ect ect.. Your manual should have a schedule. I due the end of season schudule after every ton. The only thing you probably will need is the combustion blower gasket.

Best to do every ton. Most stove issues are from a dirty stove. Not the normal ash in the fire box. But else where in the stove. Keep it clean and preform much better.

Don't forget to clean behind the slide doors in the firebox. You will be supprised how much will be in them!

I am sure the real pro's (like Eric and buildingmaint)will jump in to agree and help out

jay

awesome, thank you very much Jay. I just shut down the stove to pull the motors and check them out and what not and to drop some oil in them I will let you know what the outcome is when I am done later tonight.
Thanks

Greg

I took the blower out cleaned it put some WD-40 on the shaft of the cage put it all back together and it just started the sound again. Do you think the blower is bad? I don't know what else it could be. The stove is not that hot right now. Could the heat have something to do with it? Maybe the pellets??

Thanks

Greg

Greg,

Sorry for not explaining better. My fault.

You need to oil the motor bushings. Not the shaft on the blower wheel. Look inside the motor. At each end there is a sleeve next to the motor case end. Oil the sleeved bushings inside it!

Also WD-40 doesn't last that long maybe a couple of weeks. But you can see if it will quit down for now!

I use 3 in 1 or 10 weight oil.

Let me see if I can get a photo of where you need to oil it!

jay

Attachments

• 77db_1.jpg
    77db_1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 254
Once the bearings start to make noise it is only time before the noise will be loud enough that you can not stand the noise. I would look for a convection blower, $165.00 plus shipping.

Eric
330-448-0300.

If it is the motor and the stove is new, it should be covered under warranty. I would continue to try and talk with Breckwell to have them set up an appt. with a local dealer who can do the warranty work.

Thanks guys for all the help. After re-starting it this morning I have not heard the noise since last night, I am going to keep checking to see when I hear the noise and then call Breckwell and see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.