Breckwell p24fs combustion blower slow starting on cold days.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhyrum

Dec 6, 2016
loc
So I've noticed that for my warnock hersey/breckwell stove to start in the morning, it takes about 5 minutes for the combustion blower to kick on after I hit the switch. Even if using the manual feed button like in the instructions. The automatic feed doesn't start until the combustion blower kicks on. I've noticed this really only happen in the recent winter mornings, so it's pretty darn cold in the house. Single digit temps are no fun... But soon it will be double digit negatives...

I'd bet that the blower may need a good cleaning, and I'd bet it hasn't been cleaned since it was put in (new renters of the house) and since we're renting from family, who is giving us a great deal on the house I want to try to do as much myself to kind of pay them back (I feel I'm pretty handy... I could be wrong though)

I've downloaded the breckwell manual(the controls seem slightly different, but the guts seem the same.

Am I headed in the right direction thinking its the combustion blower? I'd like to clean it out and possibly lube any shafts I can get to but, being as cold as it is, I think I may have to wait till may-ish and just gut and clean the whole thing.

You are on the right track,the grease in the brgs may be old and hard,and/or a lot of dust & crap buit up in the motor windings,dragging on the rotor,and or motor is getting tired.Pull it,clean it,high pressure air hose works well,if spins ok,try putting some oil in the brgs(an insulin or othe rneedle works well),put back in and try.Now will go to your other thread and answer==c

If it has been used by renters, probably needs a serious deep clean of all the internal pathways and venting. Glad you got the manual ... I use dryer lint brush in the internal pathways along with a tube to feed in the clean-out ports on an attachment for the shop vac with drywall bag. Just ensure cold stove. Paint brush and or scotch-brite pad for combustion blower blades but make sure you have required gasket. Vacuum or compressed air to chase out dust bunnies from the windings. Paint brush or old childs toothbrush (small brush head) to clean vanes on convection blower. Disconnect tube to air switch (usually on a port on the back of firebox or exhaust pathway); check for cracks/breaks and clean connection port. Give the venting the once over too. Do the dollar bill test on the door gasket as it may need to be changed out too (close door on dollar or similar paper, if easy to pull out ... time for replacement).

Let us know if the cleaning helps... deep clean should be done after every ton. Did mine today and swapped out old silicone gaskets that were getting brittle.

Last edited:
Can you get to the fan and spin it ? They sell synthetic oil for the motors with a needle nose. May just need new lub for the motor. Is there a heat sensor on the convection fan ? That may be going, waiting to long to click on.

So I got to the motor today. It wasn't the best job, but not wanting to have the unit down as its the primary heat source I didn't want to have the stove down long.

There's an access panel to the right of the tube the pellets come out of that gives semi direct access to the front of the motor, and I can see the blower struggling to turn. So I sprayed some electric motor safe silicone lubricant in there(getting behind the blades to the bearing, and from behind into the windings and bearings, then blew out with canned air, and the blower at least has a much easier time spinning up. I'll probably replace the blower during the summer.

Might want to get the blower and have it on stand-by just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.