Breckwell SPC50 venting it myself and need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lostsoutherner

Jan 7, 2016
New Hampshire
Hi all,

I bought a Breckwell SPC50 (formerly NU-TEC upland 207) in November. I paid the dealer/ hack installer to install it. He installed it like a normal (exhaust fan containing) pellet stove, and my journey began there. Since then I've done much research, fired my installer, am attempting to get a refund, and have decided I can do this myself . . . I think. I've been in touch with a couple people I met on this forum about the stove (Peter and Owen) and they've convinced me that the stove is worth keeping and have pretty much explained what I need to do to get it right. However, I still have some questions and am looking for advice/ suggestions. I know that I must go over the roof line 10-2-3 to get the proper draft. Unfortunately, since my stove is in the corner of the room, I will have to go 6+ feet over my roof line with the 4" duravent Pellet vent Pro to get higher than the peak of the roof.

A few things that I'm worried about: I have no support planned for the pellet vent that goes above the roof line. I have a lot of vent on the outside of the house that may subject to the cold temperatures and thus reduce draft. I'm wondering about my planned assembly for the ventilation. I will attach a draft of that to the thread later. I'm not sure how adjustable length pellet vent should be sealed, if at all.

Any advice that I can get to help me see this through would be great. And when this is done I might try to setup the All Nighter that was left in the basement.

Reactions: Ssyko
Here is how the stove was installed initially.

Attachments

• Brian's Phone January 16 282.jpg
    Brian's Phone January 16 282.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 303
  • Brian's Phone January 16 284.jpg
    Brian's Phone January 16 284.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 316
  • Brian's Phone January 16 345.jpg
    Brian's Phone January 16 345.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 386
  • Brian's Phone January 16 347.jpg
    Brian's Phone January 16 347.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 365
Here is the side of the house where the vent will run. The plastic and plywood is where the hole was cut in the house. I wish it was higher so more of the rise was inside, but its too late now. I removed the previous ventilation and am returning it to the dealer as a part of the refund agreement. (This guy has tried to make it difficult on me to get a refund as he insists I should let him fix the problem he failed to fix four times and only knew what the real issue was after I did the research.)

Attachments

• IMG_20160121_102844198.jpg
    IMG_20160121_102844198.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20160121_102901104.jpg
    IMG_20160121_102901104.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 242
Can't help, but the install was so wrong for that stove..Beautiful stove though.

Hi all,

I bought a Breckwell SPC50 (formerly NU-TEC upland 207) in November. I paid the dealer/ hack installer to install it. He installed it like a normal (exhaust fan containing) pellet stove, and my journey began there. Since then I've done much research, fired my installer, am attempting to get a refund, and have decided I can do this myself . . . I think. I've been in touch with a couple people I met on this forum about the stove (Peter and Owen) and they've convinced me that the stove is worth keeping and have pretty much explained what I need to do to get it right. However, I still have some questions and am looking for advice/ suggestions. I know that I must go over the roof line 10-2-3 to get the proper draft. Unfortunately, since my stove is in the corner of the room, I will have to go 6+ feet over my roof line with the 4" duravent Pellet vent Pro to get higher than the peak of the roof.

A few things that I'm worried about: I have no support planned for the pellet vent that goes above the roof line. I have a lot of vent on the outside of the house that may subject to the cold temperatures and thus reduce draft. I'm wondering about my planned assembly for the ventilation. I will attach a draft of that to the thread later. I'm not sure how adjustable length pellet vent should be sealed, if at all.

Any advice that I can get to help me see this through would be great. And when this is done I might try to setup the All Nighter that was left in the basement.

I agree. It would have been easier if your stove was located closer to the center if your home, reducing the height of the pelletvent running above the roof. You seem to have a few chimneys. Any unused flues?

The 10-2-3 rule is primarily for woodstove fire safety. However the higher you run your pelletvent, within reason, the less likely you will have draft issues. So, I recommend that you try to stick with those guidelines.
image.jpeg

It is probably a good idea to add additional bracing to your installation.
Note: In this Upland 207 Pellet Stove installation the homeowner replaced a pellet stove that exhausted out the back. Though not necessary for the SPC-50 or UP207P, the original stove's outlet was used to provide outside combustion air - easier than patching the hole.

In as much as this system operates on a draft or vacuum, you may minimize the use of silicone sealant. You do want to be able to remove the clean out plug at he bottom of the tee for inspections. The adjustable length that you place above the stove does not need to be sealed. You need to be able to disconnect it from the stove for inspection and cleaning. Unlike most pellet stoves, your stove's exhaust is under vacuum. Any small leaks will just allow room air to enter the flue.

Once you get through this installation, I am sure that you will be pleased with the quiet operation, radiant heat, low maintenance, and awesome fireview of your stove.

Is there a chimney insulation that might work in this application in case I run into problems?

At this point I don't want to move the stove. I might in the future when I remodel the room.

I reviewed your photos again. That original outlet looks to be pretty close to your window. NFPA-211 requires at least a 4 ft. clearance.

Running the flue up past the edge of the roof minimizes the opportunity for exhaust gases finding their way back into the home.

You may be able to meet the 10:2 requirement without running the pipe above the peak of your roof. Bumping the pipe out past the gutters helps to knock down the needed height a little bit. (See above photo.)

Your dealer should have known that the SPC-50 required an installation similar to this schematic for your intended placement.

image.jpeg

Finally got my spc50 up and running. I ended up hiring a sweep to install venting that I purchased and planned. I thought I could of do it myself, but decided a sweep would be a safer option. After watching them, I know I could of done it.

Stove is working great. I'm just getting to know it now.

If you bought this stove here is some advice.

First, read this: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/945547/Upland-207p.html?page=33#manual

It is 1 million times more useful than Breckwell's woefully inadequate manual. If you can hear me USSC, what are you thinking? Why would you not follow Nu-Tec's lead and put the critical info on this stove on page one?

Second, your installer probably doesn't know what he is doing with this stove. Research it yourself. This stove needs a natural draft. Your average sweep want accept that or thinks that it won't work properly. They don't get it. I don't know why, but they just don't. Out of 12 sweeps I spoke to maybe one really understood as he had experience with a similar stove. I was told that I had to be wrong by several. One told me he wouldn't touch it because it's unproven technology.
Do yourself a favor and do the research.

I hope I can come back in a month or so and say how great this stove is. Right now it's great, but it's too early to tell.

Finally got my spc50 up and running. I ended up hiring a sweep to install venting that I purchased and planned. I thought I could of do it myself, but decided a sweep would be a safer option. After watching them, I know I could of done it.

Stove is working great. I'm just getting to know it now.

If you bought this stove here is some advice.

First, read this: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/945547/Upland-207p.html?page=33#manual

It is 1 million times more useful than Breckwell's woefully inadequate manual. If you can hear me USSC, what are you thinking? Why would you not follow Nu-Tec's lead and put the critical info on this stove on page one?

Second, your installer probably doesn't know what he is doing with this stove. Research it yourself. This stove needs a natural draft. Your average sweep want accept that or thinks that it won't work properly. They don't get it. I don't know why, but they just don't. Out of 12 sweeps I spoke to maybe one really understood as he had experience with a similar stove. I was told that I had to be wrong by several. One told me he wouldn't touch it because it's unproven technology.
Do yourself a favor and do the research.

I hope I can come back in a month or so and say how great this stove is. Right now it's great, but it's too early to tell.

Love mine Upland 207... 4 years running strong....vented mine up my old brick chimney through the center of my house...used 4" pellet stove pipe..runs it 24-7 during the fall and winter months..best purchased I've made...

Last edited: