Brick and mortar cure time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clearblue16

Hearth Supporter
Jan 14, 2009
Seattle
So I just had a new hearth extension built with brick and mortar....how long should I wait to light my insert? Everything but the hearth extension is existing masonary....

Anybody? I have heard between 48hours and 28 days....the only new brick and mortar is the hearth extension (I have an insert) but I don't want to crack the mortar....

I don't have an answer for you but will bump this up in hopes someone comes along........

Shari

Timely question.... I just had my custom hearth built for my woodstove and am wondering the same thing.

If you're in a hurry, perhaps you could lay a wet towel on the new work, then insulate it from the insert's heat with, oh I don't know, aluminum foil or some leftover fiberglass or something.

i could not wait,so i kept a spray bottle with water right by the stove,kept it constantly wet and i still got a little tiny crack in the mortar,so i think your getting good advice by waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.