Brick Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sawnlogs

Hearth Supporter
Dec 7, 2007

Hello, New guy here. Came across this web site tonight looking for some info. on building a brick fireplace for a wood burning stove. I will be building a 1200 square ft. home next spring. I plan on putting in a wood stove in the living room. I purchased 3000 brick( New Brick/ great price) this week and would like to use it for a wood burner chimney. I had planned on the chimney running on the outside of the house. Not sure if this would be the most eficient either. Versus running the flu straight up out the roof. I really like the outside chimney look. Can anyone steer me in the right direction for a properly built brick chimney. The house will probably be constructed with 2x6 walls and be pretty air tight. I am sure I will have to have somekind of fresh air make up. I do hvac for a living but have never messed with wood burners much. Would like to learn as much as I can before the project begins. Havent looked at many stoves yet but looking for something pretty efficient. I did look at a Scan/Andersen 10. I was pretty impressed with it. Any and ALL Coments, Thoughts, Good and or Bad Welcome, Thanks, SAWNLOGS

Are you looking to install a freestanding stove, and insert, or a epa efficient fireplace?
If your building the home, you might want to research masonry heaters. I wish I could put one here.

A chimney's primary function is not looks. It is providing the draft exhaust engine for the stove. The chimney is a very important part of the stove system. It wants to be warm and central to the house. Take a look at old houses and you will see that our forefather's understood this. They didn't have power tools to cut and split wood. They did it by hand and didn't want to waste heat or make more work.

Install the chimney in the center of the house and it is going to work 100% better. Think of the hearth and chimney as the heart of the house. You can have it centrally located inside, functioning well and departing it's warmth to the interior of the house. Or it can be placed outside, cold and cantankerous, kind of like wearing one's heart on one's sleeve.

Thanks for the replys. I am kind of confused on the chimney in the center of the house using a freestanding stove. I can picture it with a fireplace though. where can i find some pics of this. Thanks!

Just clicked on the gallery link. Those are just beautiful. If I ever realize my dream of designing and building my own house, I'm definitely doing one of those.

Driftwood,

S W E E T!!!

sawnlogs said:
Thanks for the replys. I am kind of confused on the chimney in the center of the house using a freestanding stove. I can picture it with a fireplace though. where can i find some pics of this. Thanks!

Most often one doesn't see a service stove chimney at all. Ever see the oil furnace chimney in a house? It's partitioned in.

But an exposed chimney/hearth can look great too.
https://www.hearth.com/gallery/pics/woodcoal/source/hhomestead.html
https://www.hearth.com/gallery/pics/woodcoal/source/liberty_stove.html
https://www.hearth.com/gallery/pics/woodcoal/source/pacificenergyspectrum.html

I would second the recomendation for considering a Masonry Heater for a new construction home, I think they offer multiple advantages over a conventional stove or fireplace, and just wish they were easier to retrofit to an existing house...

I would also emphatically say that outside chimneys are EVIL... They tend to have draft issues, and even when they work well they usually waste a lot of heat to the outside, and put the stove in a place where it will heat less effectively. If you don't go for a Masonry Heater, I would go for an open plan with a central chimney - that way you will get the maximum possible heating from the stove you get.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.