Brick cleaners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
i have been look to clean off the brick of the face of my masonry chimney. I now have insert in fireplace. There some old soot from use of old fireplace. Are masonry cleaners generally gently on the steel and cast iron of the insert in the event that some of the cleaner gets on insert or surround?

The cleaners generally are an acid. So yes, they would attack the metal as well especially if left on there for any length of time. Also would attack mortar joints. Acid and a base you know. Basic chemistry. Kevin

Here is a product that is out on the market, that you might take a look at.
ChimneySaver Paint "N" Peel Fireplace Cleaner is a revolutionary new kind of cleaner that represents a major breakthrough in the removal of smoke and soot stains from fireplace fronts and hearths. It's applied like a thick coat of paint, and as it dries, its wicking action draws out and removes deeply embedded stains. 1.5 gallon bucket.
https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/chimney-cleaners-tools