Brick rails bending - is this normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdbender

Nov 15, 2016
Delaware
Sorry if this is a basic question, but I'm burning some seasoned pine in a wood stove and the brick rails are making me a little concerned. The back one shown in the pic is the worst, the rest aren't even close to that. I know pine burns hot, and should burn even hotter to prevent accumulation. I'm just not sure if this is too hot or if all modern stoves do this.

Attachments

• IMG_2550.jpeg
    IMG_2550.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 253
The "brick rails" should not bend.
You need to get a thermometer on that stove. Pine burns hot but can be controlled with proper control of the air.

Thank you both. Where should the temp be taken? I tried IR in the firebox, but of course maxed, I can can only read to 1000. I assume you mean the magnetic type on the stovepipe? If so what temp should I be going for?

Thank you both. Where should the temp be taken? I tried IR in the firebox, but of course maxed, I can can only read to 1000. I assume you mean the magnetic type on the stovepipe? If so what temp should I be going for?
What temps are you getting on the stove top with your IR?

Does that rail lower its height when the stove is cool?

1000 degrees, that's over the top. Much to hot. What stove do you have?

It drops a little when it's cool, but doesn't return to straight. 1000 was IR aimed at the coals and flame, not sure if that can even be measured accurately, but the highest I've gotten on the top surface is about 400. That still seems pretty hot. It's a lowes 2000 sf model. At work now but I can post the manufacturer and model when I get back.

You should not be seeing any bent parts. 400 stove top temp is just getting started for a steel stove. Any chance you have left the door cracked at some point and forgot about it?

The wood may not be fully seasoned. That can lead to balky burning. Try mixing some known dry wood like construction cut-offs in with the splits. Are you loading E/W or N/S?

If loading E/W try making a couple sleeper sticks, 2x2s work well if you can split some 2x4 end scraps in half, or just use some 1-2" branch pieces that are say 12-14" long. Lay them down N/S in the center of the firebox about 2-3" apart. This will allow air to get under the wood. Put a few balls of newspaper in between them. Then load as you normally would, mixing some thinner dry wood in with the splits. Ignite the the paper and see if the fire starts better.

Regarding your draft issue, did you follow the installation instructions for the stove? Did you inspect the stove prior to use and did you notice if that angle Was straight?

Status
Not open for further replies.