Brick Veneer Hearth - Should I seal it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfetone

Apr 29, 2014
MA
Hi all,

So I am placing a brick veneer hearth to support my F600, the hearth will need to minimum 55"w x 50"D as per Jotul.

My question is, if I dont seal the veneer brick, will it just stain and become nasty with all the ash that may spill from the wood stove?

I DO NOT want a wet look or shiny look, I want the brick veneer which is historical looking to remain natural looking.....I think if the sealer is going to make it shiny or wet or unnatural looking I would rather just take the drawback of ash on the veneer after some use.

I never used a sealer before so thought I would ask

I don't think an acrylic sealer will make it look glossy at all. It usually soaks into the material. It will help with the dusty/ashy look on brick. I would seal it if I was doing it.

I sealed my brick patio and it made it darker not glossy like webby said,and I think it looks better!

There are different sheens of sealer.
Get a low or no gloss one, and it will work fine.

Hog nailed it ... go with a sealant that is matte vs gloss and you'll avoid the shiny, wet look.

Go to your local masonry supply place and ask for a sealer called Tough Stuff. Its invisible and what the pros use. Scrub the hearth with a very stiff brush and a light mixture of GRANULATED Tide detergent and water first. Rinse thoroughly, let it dry completely (24 hrs) then apply. Repeat every two or three years. If another product says it never needs reapplied its a lie. Its supposed to say that I'm a 12 year journeyman bricklayer somewhere on my posts but i guess I haven't figured out how to make that work yet, as I just joined a couple days ago.

Go to your local masonry supply place and ask for a sealer called Tough Stuff. Its invisible and what the pros use. Scrub the hearth with a very stiff brush and a light mixture of GRANULATED Tide detergent and water first. Rinse thoroughly, let it dry completely (24 hrs) then apply. Repeat every two or three years. If another product says it never needs reapplied its a lie. Its supposed to say that I'm a 12 year journeyman bricklayer somewhere on my posts but i guess I haven't figured out how to make that work yet, as I just joined a couple days ago.
If you are posting from a mobile device you might not be able to view signatures. It shows up on a computer though.

Status
Not open for further replies.