Bricked in Fireplace help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mooker82

Dec 29, 2011
south carolina
I am new here and just recently purchased a new house. The house was built in 1930 and the chimney is on the outside wall. I think the chimney was converted from an open fireplace to a wood stove. I am wanting to open back up the fireplace that I think has been bricked in. The pictures below show the fireplace inside with the thimble and a shot inside the chimney looking down through the thimble. The entire chimney is lined with rectangular clay that is 12" x 7". Is it even possible to open this fireplace up and insert a wood stove? I know I will probably need to call a professional but I was hoping someone could give me an idea if I can do it without spending a fortune.

Attachments

• fireplacesmall.jpg
    fireplacesmall.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 199
  • fireplacesmall2.jpg
    fireplacesmall2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 188
i say yes and install a double wall liner and insulation kit, remove brick enough too allow for a t connector and finish off brick that are removed
Do you have a hearth or floor protection there now

You may not need to remove that much brick, depending on the answer to Excavator's question. No reason you couldn't run a SS liner down to the thimble that's already there, bore that thimble to the right size, and have a freestanding stove. Check clearances and so on...

Status
Not open for further replies.