Bricks, gaskets and whatnot...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow&Flame

Minister of Fire
Jun 6, 2011
Central Arkansas
I don’t have a lot of time to be on here, so any answers I get might take me a bit to get back to you.

I am putting together a stove first-aid kit. I have gotten a box of firebricks and now I am going to get all the gaskets I might need. The manual states that my stove uses a 5/16 med density fiberglass gasket for the door. Is this the same as the Rutland Grapho-glas or do you have to buy it from PE? Also where is the best place to buy the baffle gasket from?(BeGreen is right...they are too cheap to worry about) Looking for the best deal....on door, glass and baffle gaskets.

I did find it strange that the manual says to pull the stove and not remove the baffle for cleaning...odd.

Thanks...

I buy bulk gasket rope from McMaster-Carr. About $0.36 per foot, and always on my doorstep the day after ordering. Get yourself 10-12 feet of each size your stove uses, and you'll be in good shape for emergency repairs.

That said, there aren't too many situations where you can't just re-glue the old gasket to get you thru a couple of days.

It does sound like a good way to be ready if your stove need a little first aid.

I don’t have a lot of time to be on here, so any answers I get might take me a bit to get back to you.

I am putting together a stove first-aid kit. I have gotten a box of firebricks and now I am going to get all the gaskets I might need. The manual states that my stove uses a 5/16 med density fiberglass gasket for the door. Is this the same as the Rutland Grapho-glas or do you have to buy it from PE? Also where is the best place to buy the baffle gasket from?(BeGreen is right...they are too cheap to worry about) Looking for the best deal....on door, glass and baffle gaskets.

I did find it strange that the manual says to pull the stove and not remove the baffle for cleaning...odd.

Thanks...

Sorry about that S&F. I remember posting to this but it didn't show. I think I've done this before and it is my fault and not the forum. Sometimes I may get sidetracked or whatever and rather than hitting the "Post Reply" button, I just go back to the forum and, of course, it never gets posted. Sort of a senior moment...

Putting together a kit like you have stated is a good idea. We has something similar but we just bought it outright from Woodstock. They have kits for all their stoves and it contains everything one will need for future maintenance.

As far as the best place to buy, I'll let others chime in on that.

Sorry about that S&F. I remember posting to this but it didn't show. I think I've done this before and it is my fault and not the forum. Sometimes I may get sidetracked or whatever and rather than hitting the "Post Reply" button, I just go back to the forum and, of course, it never gets posted. Sort of a senior moment...

Putting together a kit like you have stated is a good idea. We has something similar but we just bought it outright from Woodstock. They have kits for all their stoves and it contains everything one will need for future maintenance.

As far as the best place to buy, I'll let others chime in on that.

No worries...its getting to that busy time of year. I was mainly wondering what types of gaskets I needed and if they sold kits like the one you mentioned for PE stoves. I like to stay prepared for things...

Thanks

I buy bulk gasket rope from McMaster-Carr. About $0.36 per foot, and always on my doorstep the day after ordering. Get yourself 10-12 feet of each size your stove uses, and you'll be in good shape for emergency repairs.

That said, there aren't too many situations where you can't just re-glue the old gasket to get you thru a couple of days.

Thanks...will look into what they offer.

It does sound like a good way to be ready if your stove need a little first aid.

I like to stay ahead of the game...hate that rushing around trying to find something after the fact...

Status
Not open for further replies.