broke in the 460 the wrong way today...bloody

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch, after one summer of cutting without chaps then finding this site I bought the chaps,gloves and the cutting shirt. Hope your okay.

Zap

Yikes! glad you came out as well as you did. In lieu of chaps in the immediate moment I would recommend engaging the chain brake when walking with the saw or setting it down while you move stuff around.

Looks like a nice sharp chain. Your lucky to walk away and take pictures. Today is your lucky day. Buy a lottery ticket.

Looks like it needs stiches, you are one lucky fellow, a good reminder for us all.

Yeah I'm in the waiting room right now to get stitches

Ouch, that is ugly. Your lucky that didn't go deeper into the knee, not a good place to cut, (not that any place is good to cut). Take care, and yes, get some chaps.

Wow, I would not even start a saw with out a pair on.......But learn that just like you! Same spot to.

Yikes - feel better soon. Glad it was not more serious.

Did a very similiar thing to my wrist last summer in the brush. I was trying to clear some brush out of the way with my right hand while holding the saw with the left after a cut. Almost an identicle wound. All the safety gear is great but does not replace using the chain brake!

That's gonna leave a mark!

I know - I've got a similar one on my thigh.

But I didn't get chaps. I do lock the chain brake when walking around.

(My accident was when my father-in-law knocked an alder bush onto me from behind.)

Hope you heal quickly!

I saw "460" and "bloody" in the title and I was expecting a lot worse. Very lucky there, dude.

I'll second the full-wrap Labonvilles. But as most others here said: Use the freakin' chain brake. You need full chain speed to cut wood, but to cut flesh you only need the chain to be moving a little bit. The chain brake stops the chain dead.

I never wore chaps or used the brake until I picked up the saw again a few years ago. The experienced guys on Hearth convinced me. Now when my friends snicker at me in my bright red chaps and my orange cutting helmet with the built-in hearing protection and mesh faceshield, I just think, "That's OK. I'll be there for you when you need a ride to the ER."

Battenkiller said:
Now when my friends snicker at me in my bright red chaps and my orange cutting helmet with the built-in hearing protection and mesh faceshield, I just think, "That's OK. I'll be there for you when you need a ride to the ER."
Exactly my thought BK.

Agree with Jay, I won't even start mine with out them on. I have made it a habit of hitting the brake as soon as I'm done with a cut. Unless I'm actually in wood it's ALWAYS on, running or not.

PPE may feel funny or others may laugh but they make it for a reason. You wouldn't get in a race car without a firesuit, so why would this be any different? Some might think they don't need it till it's too late and then they wish they did. Lucky it was just some stitches.

Steeltown , glad that You are alright ! As others have said , get ,and use a good set of Chaps ,they're worth the bucks You pay for them .
If I can, I'd like to ask a question : Why do some of you set the brake as soon as You are done with a cut ? TIA .

to stop the chain...if i would have done that on this cut..id be fine...the chain didnt get me full speed..if it would have id be in the hospital with half my leg hanging off...i had come out of the cut and started to move thats when it got me...one second later and the chain wouldnt had been moving at all..i really consider today a lucky a day and a learning day..im gonna buy the chaps.....one question is how hot are they?...doesnt matter but im just wondering cause im gonna buy no matter what

when I broke my arm everyone told me how lucky I was.

It really pissed me off.

Ja, I hit my knee on two separate incidents. Got the scars to show for it. Didn't draw anywhere near that much blood though.

Nixon said:
: Why do some of you set the brake as soon as You are done with a cut ? TIA .
I just have developed a habit of setting it. It's risk management to me, no point to let a bunch of razor sharp teeth move if not needed. My 025 when idiling will not spin the chain but the 268 will. Why take the risk.

cwill said:
Nixon said:
: Why do some of you set the brake as soon as You are done with a cut ? TIA .
I just have developed a habit of setting it. It's risk management to me, no point to let a bunch of razor sharp teeth move if not needed. My 025 when idiling will not spin the chain but the 268 will. Why take the risk.
Thanks ! The reason I asked is that the chains on My saws don't move at idle . And I don't move around until the chain stops .
Well , other than the time My saw convinced Me to buy chaps :)

steeltowninwv said:
....one question is how hot are they?

Yes, chaps will keep you warm - but they also keep you safe. :)

Great post. Gory, but a great post to:
remind us all how dangerous the tool we use, more than any other, to cut firewood can be dangerous.
It will make us all be more aware when out cutting, Thanks ;)

Very glad it was not real bad.
steetown: Glad you posted about it. An accident most would not like to talk about.

Sharp chain !
Glad you are OK.

Nice legs :) Got a picture of the pants?
(A little humor to help make you laugh )

Thanks again for posting !!

Well I'm missing work today plus the doctor bill...I could have bought the best chaps out there..and then some...live and learn

Status
Not open for further replies.