broke the maul out today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
Cut this oak last week..went back with the maul today and split it up..also cut another nice oak up today..gonna go back and split tomorrow. ..
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/steeltowninwv/2011-10-31154416.jpg

2011-11-08120932.gif

somehow this got double posted...same posting twice

Nice clean wood. And it looks like a beautiful day for outdoor work.
We're experiencing a similar fall here in Eastern Canada - sunny days, nice night frost.
I hope this wood is for next year? Or two years away?
Dad (74) and I (48) are still using a maul and sometimes a wedge to split our wood.
We processed 17 cord this year - maple, fir, poplar and birch.
I love my Econoburn. It will eat anything: hardwood or softwood.
Happy burning.

It happens.
Time for a synthetic handle?

I've been splitting a fair amount right off the truck by hand lately. It's nice clear stuff, so it's not too bad. The crotches get set asside for the power splitter ; )

I like wood handles, but love synthetic for mauls!

Mike P

I didn't break the mail..I was saying I got it out today

steeltowninwv said:
I didn't break the mail..I was saying I got it out today

As in, "I broke out the maul", as opposed to "I broke the maul out(doors)".

maplewood this wood is for 2 years from now

"I didn’t break the maul..I was saying I got it out today"
OOPS,
I just love the pictures.
Reminds me of where I grew up, Kingwood area, Preston county. Loved the Buckwheat festival. Great pancakes :)
Folks had a place near Grafton where Dad had a saw mill when he retired.
Some great country, good people. Not much level ground but good woods & good memories.

bogydave said:
It happens.

"Broke out" is not the same as "broke" (as in, maul handle.) Regardless, hickory handles are readily available, and easily installed. The plastic ones feel like linguine.
But, let's wait until steeltown breaks one, and hope that's far in the future.

Believe it or not...this was the same maul I used as a kid at home...100's of cords split with it..don't know what kind it is dad bought it when I was about 10 years old...original handle

CTYank said:
bogydave said:
It happens.

"Broke out" is not the same as "broke" (as in, maul handle.) Regardless, hickory handles are readily available, and easily installed. The plastic ones feel like linguine.
But, let's wait until steeltown breaks one, and hope that's far in the future.

That will be the only mistake I make. I'll do gooder. ""M R Snakes" " M R not" "C M B D I's" " L I B. M R snakes""
I put rubber tape on mine, even the wood handles ice up, tape helped. don't use it much now.

Attachments

• swp log1.jpg
    swp log1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 321
steeltowninwv said:
Believe it or not...this was the same maul I used as a kid at home...100's of cords split with it..don't know what kind it is dad bought it when I was about 10 years old...original handle
I believe it, my favorite maul is 40 years old or so. Originally had a wooden handle, then replaced it with fiberglass that lasted over 25 years of almost daily use before the epoxy in the head finally cracked and loosened up. Can't keep a wooden handle in it for even a year because they loosen up that fast.

quads said:
steeltowninwv said:
I believe it, my favorite maul is 40 years old or so. Originally had a wooden handle, then replaced it with fiberglass that lasted over 25 years of almost daily use before the epoxy in the head finally cracked and loosened up. Can't keep a wooden handle in it for even a year because they loosen up that fast.

I put a wood handle in my old maul that's stayed tight for 2 years now. I bought the handle & it took me a year or so to "get around to it". I think the handle dried out more after I bought it, I had to sand it down to get it to fit, even after the year in the shop, i think it dried/shrunk it some.
Anyway maybe buy a handle & let it dry & shrink for a year before putting it in, maybe the new handles you are getting a not seasoned properly :)
Keep it by the stove for a winter then install it.
Dry wood is important, even for the maul handle ;)

bogydave said:
quads said:
steeltowninwv said:

I put a wood handle in my old maul that's stayed tight for 2 years now. I bought the handle & it took me a year or so to "get around to it". I think the handle dried out more after I bought it, I had to sand it down to get it to fit, even after the year in the shop, i think it dried/shrunk it some.
Anyway maybe buy a handle & let it dry & shrink for a year before putting it in, maybe the new handles you are getting a not seasoned properly :)
Keep it by the stove for a winter then install it.
Dry wood is important, even for the maul handle ;)
I put another one in a couple weeks ago, but this time I smeared Elmer's wood glue all around it. So far it's holding.......

I have at-least 1/2 dozen and half of those look brand new... :cheese: (People like to give them to me)

Status
Not open for further replies.