Broken Glass on a Manchester

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4BigFish

Nov 19, 2013
Virginia
25 years of wood burning, just bought the Hearthstone Manchester in November. We returned from a few days away during Christmas, loaded the stove, lit the paper, a log shifted fell against the glass and "crack", all the way across the front.
I've have had a log or two fall into the glass over the years, first glass issue. I've always been nervous this would happen.

Dealer will replace the glass. The thinking is the log hit right at the edge of the glass and it may not have been installed correctly allowing the glass to rest on the cast iron?

Anyone else have such an issue?

Anyone ever consider replacing the glass with a steel plate?

This of course is happening during the coldest spell of the winter... and no wood stove to warm my toes.

Greg

Most glass shops can whip up a piece of Pyroceram or Neoceram ceramic glass for it real fast.

Reactions: Fred Wright
If you bought this from a local dealer he may even give you the door from a display stove, or he may have one ready to go.

Might even be covered under warrantee if it cracked at a retention clip and screw contact point.

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses.
It is under warranty.
I don't think my dealer has a stove in the same finish to switch out doors. But that was a good idea.

I'll check with the manufacture's price... I'm thinking having another glass on hand as a back up.

Greg

So did you keep burning? A crack doesn't have to make you stop if you can control the fire.

Odd. I have the Hearthstone shelburne and just the other day a log rolled into the glass with a thud. I had vision s of broken glass and cold days, all was fine.
Just watched my gf slip with the poker and whack the glass on her Jotul oslow, wow, I don't know why it didn't break, it shouldve...
I'm guessing it's generally pretty rugged stuff.

The dealer may be able to pull the glass from a stove in inventory? We started cutting stove glass a few years ago and our biggest problem is keeping glass in stock. razer is correct, keep it rolling if the air leak isn't huge. Sounds like you've got a good dealer there.

Reactions: BrowningBAR
They didn't offer to pull glass from a stove in inventory. I'll give them a call tomorrow with that request. The dealer has certainly been sympathetic and wants to get the issue resolved. I'm like most folks, understanding but want it done sooner than it is getting done.

Since I was just starting the fire, I put it out, which was smokey basement event.
Makes me nervous to have a fire with cracked glass.

Here is a picture of the crack. It goes all the way across the glass.

Attachments

• 20131231_101215.jpg
    20131231_101215.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 259
auto glass dealers... didn't think of that.
Now I'm in a quandary. dealer is fixing this under warranty, no charge.

Again, thanks for all of the assistance.

auto glass dealers... didn't think of that.
Now I'm in a quandary. dealer is fixing this under warranty, no charge.

Again, thanks for all of the assistance.

You could get the glass cut by a glass dealer and install asap then use the replacement no charge piece for your backup.

Reactions: 4BigFish
You could get the glass cut by a glass dealer and install asap then use the replacement no charge piece for your backup.

I've always contended more brains working a problem is better.... excellent plan!

It is under warranty.
I don't think my dealer has a stove in the same finish to switch out doors. But that was a good idea.

The glass comes out. They can swap the glass. You do not need to swap the doors.

It is under warranty.

Greg

The glass comes out. They can swap the glass. You do not need to swap the doors.

No one said you had to.
When mine broke with the very first 600º fire the dealer was out with a whole door within an hour. It was convenient for him.

Bummer. If possible I'd show up with the door at the dealer's tomorrow morning. See if they can repair on the spot.

I've had a few chunks thump mine pretty good, hard enough to make me cringe and look for cracks but so far so good.

No one said you had to.
When mine broke with the very first 600º fire the dealer was out with a whole door within an hour. It was convenient for him.
Right, but OP stated there is no door at the dealer with the same finish. So, just swap out the glass.

Update:
Dealer wouldn't trade out glass on a floor model (according to them they are not permitted to do this), also couldn't give me an exact ship date of when the replacement glass would arrive in their shop nor could they tell me how soon they could replace the glass once it did arrive, (I've been waiting a week) nor could they tell me how much the glass would cost if it wasn't covered under warranty.
I am sure they are having to deal with manufacturer issues however...

It's going to be 2 degrees tonight with a high of 10 degrees tomorrow.

I took my door off, went to a local glass shop and had it replaced within 30 minutes. It was a $0.75 a square inch ($176) but I will be warm this evening.

I'll keep the replacement glass, whenever I get it, as back up for any future.

The log hit right on the very edge. The glass shop guy said this is where glass is its weakest so perhaps that impacted the crack? Couldn't see any defects.
It fell into 3 pieces when removed from the door, so it was good an broke.

Good to hear you are back and business. Stay warm and load carefully.

Good deal. That's what we charge as well so it sounds like they did you right.

On the Hearthstones, I recall that the door and frame are a matched set. Grabbing any old door off the lot and putting it on your stove may be fine temporarily but I would insist on getting the original door back after a new pane is installed. I think it is the hinges that are drilled with the door/frame together.

Status
Not open for further replies.