broken throttle on old stihl?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

philaphire

Sep 24, 2006
Blue Bell, PA
I was using my father in laws old Stihl 028 yesterday bucking up a large branch that fell. About 10-15 minutes into the job the saw would accelarate eratically but never stalled. Although its performance was intermittent, we were able to finish the job. I took it home as I will keep it on long term loan now that I'm becoming a wood burner (my current is a Remmington 3.5hp which I really don't mind at all) and went to start it up again and it was hard to pull. Being stubborn, I kept pulling hard and everntually broke the pawl! Actually, in doing that it made sense to me that perhaps something is wrong with the throttle switch. Anyone else ever have a problem like this? I'm hoping to get time to take it to the dealerthis AM, but more likely it will be Monday. THANKS!

Uh oh! If the starter rope was so hard to pull that you broke the starter, sounds like it could be major engine trouble. The erratic running could have been that it was running too lean and burned the engine up. Hopefully not, but it definately sounds like a trip to the dealer. Good luck!

NOT the answer I wanted to hear Quads! :grrr: I'll post what the outcome is!

quads said:
Uh oh! If the starter rope was so hard to pull that you broke the starter, sounds like it could be major engine trouble. The erratic running could have been that it was running too lean and burned the engine up. Hopefully not, but it definately sounds like a trip to the dealer. Good luck!

That was my thought, too. Only other thought is that the saw might have a compression release that you weren't using which would account for the hard starting? My Husky has a little button to depress as a compression release. It pops out automatically when the saw starts.

Good luck! I hope it is nothing serious.

Corey

*********** :grrr:*************

I was able to drop it at the dealertoday - and he didn't seem alarmed, but easy for him to be relaxed about it!

I think Thats how my 346 at work sounded when it needed a new top end. Piston ring and jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.