BRRRRR 0.8* this morning!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
-4::F this am at 5:30AM. 64::F 1st floor and 68::Fin basement. Fired up the Jotul brought 1st floor up to 70::F in about 30 minutes. Then I left for work, Bummer!

Briansol- don't think you're doing anything wrong. Its been very cold the past few days. I myself have been running a woodstove and my pellet stove upstairs where on normal CT winter days (35-40 day, 20-30 nites) the woodstove handles the load quite well. I have a R/R wood and pellet stoves downstairs, pellet insert upstairs. We like it around 70-75 (espec the wife) and I admit when I get in late at night my old bones like the wood heat too. We have a couple of registers in the floor to balance the upstair/downstairs heat transfer, still need one more down our hallway. Have seen your posts before, but don't remember your house area heated. A Winslow at 40K BTUs will heat nicely around 1500 sqft on "normal cold", prob around 800-1000 in super cold- ala now. Stove sounds like she is doing her thing. I'm reading all these postings and while I too like my pellet stoves, the real heat hammers are still the wood stoves, especially steel stoves. All stay warm.

Stovelark
Enviro EF3 FS pellet
Enviro Empress FPI AC pellet
Enviro Kodiak 1700 FS wood (pounding out heat at the moment)

What is a "shoulder pellet"?

A pellet that for a number of reasons will not provide the same level of heat at a particular feed rate as another. Actual pellet density, moisture level, and inorganic impurities come into play.

Pellet stoves feed by volume and not weight so a higher density pellet feeds more fuel by weight on each activation of the auger producing more heat.

There can be a 20% difference in heat just because of the pellets you are burning from one brand to another in any given stove.

The term shoulder pellet refers to the low end of the heat curve. These pellets may be fine for all but extremely cold days and may also be fine if your stove can change its feed automatically. For fixed feed cycle stoves you have to turn up their firing rate or shift to a better (non shoulder) pellet in order to use the same firing rate setting.

Briansol- don't think you're doing anything wrong. Its been very cold the past few days. I myself have been running a woodstove and my pellet stove upstairs where on normal CT winter days (35-40 day, 20-30 nites) the woodstove handles the load quite well. I have a R/R wood and pellet stoves downstairs, pellet insert upstairs. We like it around 70-75 (espec the wife) and I admit when I get in late at night my old bones like the wood heat too. We have a couple of registers in the floor to balance the upstair/downstairs heat transfer, still need one more down our hallway. Have seen your posts before, but don't remember your house area heated. A Winslow at 40K BTUs will heat nicely around 1500 sqft on "normal cold", prob around 800-1000 in super cold- ala now. Stove sounds like she is doing her thing. I'm reading all these postings and while I too like my pellet stoves, the real heat hammers are still the wood stoves, especially steel stoves. All stay warm.

Stovelark
Enviro EF3 FS pellet
Enviro Kodiak 1700 FS wood (pounding out heat at the moment)

My house is about 1400 sq feet above the grade where the pellet stove is (i have a split level). Lower level is oil-fed and kept on 55 most the time (useless room... storage, my gym equip, etc)
I've considered adding a wood stove to this level, but i'm trying not to spend another dime on this house. I'm trying to move to NH in the next few years.

-4 ::F here at 6 AM and 73::F in front to rear cathedral ceiling living room with ceiling fan.
Stove was on 2 / 4 for the night. Fine settings 6-4-1 for you Englander stove folks.
Its the Cubex granules de bois franc! :ZZZ they are hot hot hot. 320::F air coming out of the stove no kidding.

Reactions: Hdhogger
-4 ::F here at 6 AM and 73::F in front to rear cathedral ceiling living room with ceiling fan.
Stove was on 2 / 4 for the night. Fine settings 6-4-1 for you Englander stove folks.
Its the Cubex granules de bois franc! :ZZZ they are hot hot hot. 320::F air coming out of the stove no kidding.

I'M jealous, damn, I can't find cubex or Sets in my area. But I'm chuggin' along. The cab50 is burning anything I throw in there.

Keep looking, I saw somersets in Epping NH Lowes just before Christmas.

They are nice pellets.

It was 6 degrees above here this morning, 71 upstairs and 73 downstairs.......gotta love that locust for the overnight burns!!

I'm actually looking forward to some REAL cold weather, for an extended period of time. If it gets too mild, too early, and stays around, that's bad for making maple syrup (last year was HORRIBLE for making the syrup). I'd love to see a deep freeze for a month or more, but looking at the next week's weather forecast here in central PA, it's not looking like that's gonna happen at all this month.....

Gearing up to be a lousy sugaring season.....

5 here and stove on a 3 past 3 days, FSU keeping house 70f, well you all have to admit room where stove is is that other room father away 10 degree's lower

Keep looking, I saw somersets in Epping NH Lowes just before Christmas.

They are nice pellets.

Thanks, I'll check it out when I get back from NJ Sunday. Did you grab any?

2 degrees this am and 68 inside at 4:30. By 5:30 the old Garrison had the house up to 72.
Very nice for an old fart of a stove.

Reactions: ScotO
It was 6 degrees above here this morning, 71 upstairs and 73 downstairs.......gotta love that locust for the overnight burns!!

I'm actually looking forward to some REAL cold weather, for an extended period of time. If it gets too mild, too early, and stays around, that's bad for making maple syrup (last year was HORRIBLE for making the syrup). I'd love to see a deep freeze for a month or more, but looking at the next week's weather forecast here in central PA, it's not looking like that's gonna happen at all this month.....

Gearing up to be a lousy sugaring season.....

think its going to warm up next week. :confused:

2 degrees this am and 68 inside at 4:30. By 5:30 the old Garrison had the house up to 72.
Very nice for an old fart of a stove.

Gonna Google Garrison, what is it a pellet stove?

Briansol- Ok on your setup- still think the Winslow is doing well within its design- your convection blower cleaning refered to earlier threads- taking the two hex bolts loose and slide it out can be cleaned pretty easily yeah quite a bit of stuff can be built up in the vanes a small brush or tooth brush style brush can clean it easily The Winslow blowers usually do well sometimes they have POF (proof of fire switches) that cause issues. Good luck with it.
Pelletizer- A Garrison is a steel stove of the 80's era I believe, had a unique designed door key (looked like a big G). Very cool and effective stoves had a model 1 (big) and model 2 (medium) octoganal partial shape with cast doors. Some had a soapstone piece that sat on top as well, cool stove.

Stovelark
Enviro EF3 FS pellet
Enviro Kodiak 1700 FS wood (burning briskly right now)

I know, and the long-term doesn't look too cold either.......unless we get a good cool-down soon, it's gonna be a lousy sugaring season AGAIN....

But bass fishing will be early(again). We had our boat out mid February last season. Usually iced out till mid March! Spoiled us rotten!

-19 here this morning at 5am. Having some small issues with the PS-35 so it was only 64 in the house until I fired up the furnace. I hate turning that thing on. Hope to get the issues on the pellet stove cleared up soon. Wood stove is coming for next winter.

Briansol- Ok on your setup- still think the Winslow is doing well within its design- your convection blower cleaning refered to earlier threads- taking the two hex bolts loose and slide it out can be cleaned pretty easily yeah quite a bit of stuff can be built up in the vanes a small brush or tooth brush style brush can clean it easily The Winslow blowers usually do well sometimes they have POF (proof of fire switches) that cause issues. Good luck with it.

Yes they do! I replace it just about seasonally.... seems to lose one every 14 months or so. Luckily, it's happened so much that I know exactly what is wrong when it happens, and its a short drive to the dealer that has them in stock for $30 bones. I should just order a case off amazon.

I'll take it apart on sunday when we're supposed to be back in the 40s again and give it a TSA-level cavity search :)

Status
Not open for further replies.