Btu's per cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgrenier35

Hearth Supporter
Jan 8, 2010
I have seen a few btu/cord charts. But I am a little confused by what the actual cord is that is used for the measurement. Is it a traditional cord of 4' logs in a 4x8 stack or 128 cu ft of tightly stacked split wood?

Sounds like a trick question...lol but most chart will say season cord and to get it season it would need to be split. 128 cu ft

Ive seen some charts that figure on the actual wood volume, 70 to 90 cu ft per cord (128 stacked with some "air")

It comes down to, get the best wood ya can, burn it

Here is one chart that explains it a little better, plus btu per pound of wood "dry", which is really what it gets down to

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/home/heating_cooling/firewood.html

sgrenier35 said:
I have seen a few btu/cord charts. But I am a little confused by what the actual cord is that is used for the measurement. Is it a traditional cord of 4' logs in a 4x8 stack or 128 cu ft of tightly stacked split wood?

Few folks think of the traditional measure of a standard cord when they talk of firewood, but it originally was supposed to be a 4' x 8' stack of 4' long logs, not splits. Fact is, a very carefully stacked cord of perfectly straight logs will contain more mass than the same volume of carefully stacked splits. Geometrically speaking, the volume of an infinite number of perfect cylinders nested as tightly together as possible approaches about 91% of the volume of the space that encloses them. This can easily be shown by taking the difference between the area of a hexagon (hexagons nest perfectly together with no spaces) and that of a circle inscribed within it. Or trust Wiki like I did.

That means that a cord of perfectly stacked, perfectly cylindrical logs contains about 115 cu.ft. of solid matter, and about 13 cu.ft. of air.

That's not what happens when you stack up splits. Most sources quote 128 cu.ft. of stacked wood as only containing about 80-90 cu.ft. of solid matter. Now, I'm not saying a load of logs in real life it going to approach the volume of perfectly nested cylinders. The logs will probably be of different diameters (which can, if properly stacked, give an even higher amount of solid matter), but they will not be perfectly straight, nor will the sides be perfectly parallel. The shorter the logs are, though, the better they will conform to a given space. Stove length rounds stacked on their sides would be close to the ideal.

So, what kind of "cords" were used to compute the tables? We'll never know, since we can't ask all of the many anonymous data sources that may have contributed to the tables. And who cares? A stove is like a growing teenager. You feed it when hungry and live with the cost. Get good dense wood and get it dry. It's like feeding steak to your stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.