HT Doug Fir cutoffs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Birdsell36

Mar 28, 2023
Connecticut
A guy in my area is selling kiln dried doug fir cutoffs in 2x2x4 bundles for $20. So 4 bundles would be a tight 128 sq ft cord. Thoughts on using this as a primary wood source in an indoor wood furnace?

Thanks

IMG_5796.jpeg

Doug fir will burn up pretty quickly. But if you stack it tight it could act as a log as opposed to kindling.

Thanks - Yea, they are definitely 2 foot deep and 4 foot long but that looks like more than 2 foot tall to me. Maybe 5 or so would be a cord ($100). I’ll most likely try one out soon.

One bundle is 8 cubic feet. There’s 128 cubic feet to a cord of wood. I would agree that’s there’s roughly 5 bundles to a face cord.

So it would take 16 bundles per cord as @cahaak previously pointed out.

Just keep in mind that burning straight lumber is sometimes a little more difficult, lots of open faces on the fire all off gassing at the same time can lead to higher firebox temps and shorter burns, the trade off would be to load less, but more frequently or mix it with cord wood.

That’s also a cord sized block of solid wood. A cord of splits has air gaps. So a real good deal at $160! Careful as this wood might be too dry as it’s kiln dried. Burn carefully until you figure out how it’ll react!

Reactions: Birdsell36