1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Buck 28000 blower question

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Jonny006, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Jonny006

Jonny006 New Member

Loc:
    Ct
    I have been searching for the answer but to no avail so here goes-
    How does the blower work on these stoves? I know they are thermostatically controlled but how do I know it is working? The stove has a single toggle switch on the lower right front. It is a single position ie; on and off. When I plug it in and turn it on the blower turns on. I read that there is a three speed setup but how does that work? I'll I have to fire it up and see what happens? I was under the impression that the motor turns on when the stove reaches operating temp to move the hot air and cool the stove correct? Can someone set me straight here please.
    Thank you!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. central_scrutinizer

central_scrutinizer Member

Loc:
    Greenwood, South Carolina
    Originally, the three-speed Buck Stoves were set up with a bar-type (CPI) thermostat and a two position switch (manual and automatic).

If you plug the stove in and flip the switch to where the motor runs, this is the "manual" position. The fan motor will run regardless of stove temperature in this position.

If you flip the switch to the opposite position, it will be on "automatic" operation. In this position, the fan motor will only come on when the stove reaches a certain temperature, and will cycle from low to medium, to high speed as the temperature of the stove increases. Of course, this is assuming that the thermostat is working properly.

I hope this helps.
  3. central_scrutinizer

central_scrutinizer Member

Loc:
    Greenwood, South Carolina
  4. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    I have a 28 also. Mine always had a two switch position. Automatic is up and manual (high) is down. Automatic is thermostatically controlled, manual control is high only (down position). Speak to the techs at servicesales above. They know it all.
  5. Jonny006

Jonny006 New Member

Loc:
    Ct
    Excellent. That was the info I was looking for. Thank you!
    And Servicesales has been a huge help with my questions. They will be getting my business.