Buck 74 Minimum Height (as insert)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ablinkin

Nov 27, 2013
SE Michigan
Hoping to get a Buck Stoves model 74 into our existing fireplace, but height may be a problem. Our fireplace opening measures 21.75" (perhaps 22" once inside the fireplace, as hearth is about 1/4" higher, but that's probably not relevant for an insert where at least part will be sitting on the hearth). I've seen both 21.5" and 22.5" mentioned as heights of this stove -- anyone know which is correct? Or whether we have any chance of getting this stove to fit?

thanks for your help.

Even if you will get it in there just barely I would make sure there is enough room to attach the liner. Are you planning a self-install or hire someone?

For the install, will most likely will hire local professional.

I've been all over the Buck website, and downloaded their brochure and the pages describing model 74. The height dimension shows 21.5" on one diagram, but pretty sure this does not include the collar for attaching the flu -- and it appears welded on, so very unlikely to be removable.

I'm also open at this point to any other recommendations for an insert -- hoping to heat most or all of approximately 2400 sqft home. This fireplace is centrally located in a quad level floor plan. Would likely supplement heat circulation with ceiling fans and/or furnace blower. Aesthetics/being able to view the fire, and secondary burn/airwash keeping glass relatively clean is a priority for us also.

That size home requires a large insert with a firebox of at least 3 cu ft. The question is if a large one will fit in your fireplace. What are its other dimensions? Here is a nice diagram to write down your measurements: http://www.woodheat.com/how_to_measure.php
How tall is the chimney and how wide is the flue? Are you sure it is a masonry fireplace, not a prefab one?

I used the cast iron flue collar on the 91. Fastened it to the liner first, then slid the stove in. The collar is fastened to the flue exit with a couple of L-bolts from inside the stove. I had a few inches clearance between the top of the stove and the lintel, which came in handy for getting the flue collar lined up.
You'll need to factor in insulation value, draft sealing, weather it is an open layout etc. to determine weather a particular stove will be able to meet your needs (primary heat or supplemental.)

Checked out the dimensions page, thanks. And, I didn't realize the cast iron collar was removable -- now if the Buck model 74 has that too, it might just work for us.

The house was built in 1966, and the fireplace is built-in, masonry. Has steel block plate, with what appears to be cast iron damper with heavy chain opener, and lined with tightly fitting (mortared) firebrick. Opening is same width and height in back as in front; width is 33.5", depth 30", the height, as mentioned earlier, is probably the limiting factor, at 21.75". It has a raised hearth (limestone slab), which I actually lowered by one course of brick last year, to put it about even with the floor of the firebox (just 1/4" lip at this point). The floor of the firebox (and the hearth again) could be removed and lowered, but I'd really rather avoid that if possible. The chimney is 12" x 12" ceramic tile, I believe; approximately 20'. We had it inspected last year, and they found a crack or small opening (but didn't confirm how far this might extend), so we've been avoiding using that fireplace, until we could decide whether to reline it for use as a fireplace, reline it with 8" (to use an older insert given to us), or reline with 6" (giving us more options with newer inserts). We're leaning towards the newer insert route, as we prefer the cleaner/larger glass viewing window with possible airwash, and the secondary burn for lower emissions and creosote buildup.

I should also mention there is a second fireplace in this house. For time being, we plan to keep that one as a normal fireplace -- it looks very nice and we enjoy the fires in it, albeit it goes through wood really fast. Moreover, our floor plan is not open, but quad level. Given these factors, I think rather than aiming to heat the whole house with this one insert, we'd be happy to heat most or all of the first floor, perhaps down the line a second insert in family room would take care of the upstairs...

One thing I've noticed with inserts in general they tend to be more square in their fireplace opening requirements -- or in other words, our fireplaces both seem generously large in width and depth, but perhaps a tad shorter in height than is/was common. It'd be great if we could find an insert which used more of the width and depth, but with a shorter height of 20-21". With most inserts we'd end up with lots of airspace in back, and/or the sides. Wonder if there'd be much benefit to filling in that space with brick/firebrick, as extra heat mass...

At this point, we'll probably have a local installer out to take a look.

Yeah the collar is welded on and stove is 21.5" with the collar is 22" ish. So it cannot be removed..

I don't think you need to fill in that space you just need to install a block off plate and some insulation to keep the heat in the house. Good luck with your search, I remember going through the same thing as you when I was shopping for a stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.