Buck Model 85 with close clearance shields install...maybe??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpatton73

Sep 19, 2012
Georgia
I bought a buck model 85 that has close clearance shields on it from a guy who told me it was a 20ZC. I didn't notice until I got it home that it was a model 85. I have a ventless gas insert right now, but I do have a wood frame chimney chase to the roof. I have plenty of room to install the model 85 but it is not zero clearance of course. The manual shows clearance of 12" on each side and 16" to back wall. The opening I have is a shade over 40" wide (could possibly make bigger)and the stove is 28" wide at the front. The depth and height will not be an issue, I don't think anyway. What I am hoping to do is line the sides,back, and top with durock then 1" spacers and sheet metal on top.I guess what I need to know is : Can this be done?Is the width using heat shields enough? How far off the top of the stove would I need the top of the box to be inside the chase? I have never dealt with a insert before only free standing stoves, so I need a little help.

This stove can be an insert of freestander. Does the stove have the legs or the pedastal to make it a freestander?

You'll need to go by the manual for an alcove install - page 19:
http://www.newbucksweep.com/BuckStoveImages/Wood and Coal Stoves Non Cat/model85.pdf

That said, Buck's docs are ambiguous about whether NFPA shielding reduction applies to the close clearance shields. It seems not, but you would do better to call them to confirm or deny that. Even so, with a proper NFPA 211 wall shielding they allow a 2/3d's reduction of the 23" side and back clearances. So if you had the proper wall shielding it seems like 8" would be a safe call. Not sure about the height. Normally it is 7 ft, but I have seen less for some stoves. Again, these questions are something for Buck to answer. I would ask them for the answer in writing so that you have it on file for insurance and inspection purposes.

I talked to Buck Stove and got some answers. I ave the right clearances in my manual for the sides and back. As for the top they said 84"( I don't think he understood it had low clearance shields. Had to read that out of the manual to him), but i should be able to cut that distance in half using heat shields according to woodheat.org. I have seen pictures on the web that looks like less than 42" . Is there a way to cut the height down further? Thanks for the help

7 ft (84") is pretty standard. You can't cut down the height requirements without the mfg. blessing, preferably in writing. Ask if you can reduce the alcove ceiling height if the NFPA 211 wall shielding is extended across the alcove ceiling and vented correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.